Proving a tautology using truth table

In summary, the conversation is about proving whether a given statement is a tautology, contingency, or contradiction using a truth table. The statement in question is ((p_r)^(q_r))<-->((p^q)_r), and the individual is unsure of what to compare in order to make a determination. They later figure out that the statement is a tautology if the left-hand side of the bi-conditional is equal to the right-hand side. They also briefly discuss the symbols ^ and _ being used for conjunction and inclusive or, respectively. However, the individual also mentions that different symbols may be used in different fields or schools.
MarcL

Homework Statement

((p_r)^(q_r))<-->((p^q)_r) Prove whether the following statement is a tautology , contigency or contradiction using a truth table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the truth table, but this whole thing is one statement no? What do I compare? the first half of the bi conditional statement to the second? or the whole statement vs. the two halves? I don't know which to compare to decide whether or not it is a contingency.EDIT: figured out the tautology is if L.H.S of <--> is equal to RHS. Sorry for the post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a question for you, what is ^ and _? In the logic courses I took, we used different symbols and I'm aware different schools/fields use different symbols so just wanted to know what yours are. Thanks :)

Btw I'm guessing ^ is conjunction and _ is disjunction?

Likes DEvens
Well I used ^ for conjunction ( so AND) and _ for inclusive or because I can't the the opposite of ^ :) ( it was my own guess)

MarcL said:
Well I used ^ for conjunction ( so AND) and _ for inclusive or because I can't the the opposite of ^ :) ( it was my own guess)

Ah, alright :D If you click the sigma Σ button on the toolbar, there are many symbols to choose from including ∧ ∨ ⊃ ⋅ ∴

Related to Proving a tautology using truth table

What is a tautology?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, regardless of the values of its variables. It is considered a logical truth and cannot be proven false.

How do you prove a tautology using a truth table?

To prove a tautology using a truth table, you must list out all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in the statement. If the statement is true for every combination, it is a tautology.

Why is proving a tautology important?

Proving a tautology is important in logic and mathematics as it confirms the validity and truthfulness of a statement. It can also help to simplify complex arguments and prove the consistency of a logical system.

What is the difference between a tautology and a contradiction?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, while a contradiction is a statement that is always false. Both are considered logical truths, but they have opposite truth values.

Are there any tips for proving a tautology using a truth table?

One tip for proving a tautology using a truth table is to start with the simplest statements and work your way up to more complex ones. Also, make sure to double-check your truth table for any mistakes or missing combinations before concluding that the statement is a tautology.