Proving Covariance for Stationary Stochastic Processes

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a stochastic process Xt has independent and weak stationary increments, and its variance is equal to σ^2 for all t, then the covariance between increments, Cov(xt,xs), is equal to min(t,s)σ^2. The conversation explores different approaches and clarifies that the result is more general than just for Poisson processes.
Kuma
If a stoch. process Xt has independent and weak stationary increments. var(Xt) = σ^2 for all t, prove that Cov(xt,xs) = min(t,s)σ^2

I'm not sure how to do this. I tried using the definition of covariance but that doesn't really lead me anywhere. If it's stationary that means the distribution doesn't change as time changes. I was thinking of setting s = t+k and showing the covariance being min(t, t+k)var(Xt) but I don't know how to get to there.

Physics news on Phys.org
is var(xt)=σ^2 or σ^2*t? if it's σ^2*t, then you can say.

cov(xt,xs)=cov(xt-xs+xs,xs) and use independent + stationary increments to prove it.

i'm not sure if it holds true if it's simply σ^2 though...

I think that you mean X(t), find Cov(X(t),X(s)). Independent and stationary implies X is a Poisson process. Suppose t>s. Then X(t)=X(s)+X(t-s) and
Cov(X(s)+X(t-s),X(s)) = Var(X(s))+Cov(X(t-s),X(s)) = Var(X(s)) by independence.
If s>t then you find Var(X(t)). Recall that the variance is the rate times the length of the time interval.

independent and stationary does NOT imply X is a poisson process.

the opposite is true, but many stochastic processes that are independent and stationary are not necessarily poisson processes (brownian motion, for example has independent and stationary increments).

var(xt) =σ^2 for all t. I think μ stays the same for all increments since its a stationary process. But that doesn't really get me anywhere. It's asking to prove that the covariance between increments is the variance x min{s,t}. So if t>s then it would be sσ^2 and vice versa. I really don't know how to get there though.

i think given that information, cov(xs,xt)=min(s,t)σ^2 only if var(xt)=tσ^2. i'd double check that the problem isn't a typo or something.

Thank you very much jimmypoopins. I could have said if it's a point process then it is Poisson, the context in which this result is usually first seen, but even that isn't necessary to say because the result is more general. Thanks.

Kuma,

How did this problem turn out for you? It's a very standard problem assigned but I think you had the problem written wrong. Let us know.

Related to Proving Covariance for Stationary Stochastic Processes

1. What is a stochastic process proof?

A stochastic process proof is a mathematical method used to prove the existence and properties of a stochastic process, which is a collection of random variables that evolve over time. This proof involves using probability theory and statistical methods to analyze the behavior of the stochastic process.

2. What is the purpose of a stochastic process proof?

The purpose of a stochastic process proof is to demonstrate the validity and reliability of a stochastic process, which is crucial for understanding and predicting complex systems or phenomena that involve randomness and uncertainty.

3. What are some common techniques used in stochastic process proofs?

Some common techniques used in stochastic process proofs include Markov chains, Martingales, and Brownian motion. These techniques involve using different types of random processes and their properties to analyze the behavior of a stochastic process.

4. How is a stochastic process proof different from a regular proof?

A stochastic process proof differs from a regular proof in that it involves dealing with random variables and their probabilistic properties rather than definite values. This makes the proof more complex and requires the use of specialized mathematical techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of stochastic process proofs?

Stochastic process proofs have many real-world applications, such as in finance for modeling stock prices and in physics for modeling random particle movements. They are also used in engineering for predicting failure rates and in biology for modeling genetic mutations.