Proving/Disproving: U and V Intersection in Rn

In summary, to prove or disprove the statement that if U, V are two subspaces of Rn then U \cap V \neq \phi, we must consider the definition of \phi as the empty set and not the greek letter phi. The symbol used for the empty set is not the greek letter phi, but a symbol based on the letter Ø. It is also noted that some prefer to use \varphi for phi instead of \phi.
jkm89
So for my homework I have to prove (or disprove) this statement:

If U, V are two subspaces of Rn then U [tex]\cap[/tex] V [tex]\neq[/tex] [tex]\phi[/tex].

I just want to make sure; [tex]\phi[/tex] is the null set right? The set with nothing in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
jkm89 said:
So for my homework I have to prove (or disprove) this statement:

If U, V are two subspaces of Rn then U [tex]\cap[/tex] V [tex]\neq[/tex] [tex]\phi[/tex].

I just want to make sure; [tex]\phi[/tex] is the null set right? The set with nothing in it?

Yes it's the empty set. However the symbol isn't the greek letter phi, but a symbol of its own based on the letter Ø (a letter in some alphabets).

Compare
[tex]\phi \quad \emptyset[/tex]
The first is phi and the second is "empty set".

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_set#Notation" for a bit more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
rasmhop said:
Compare
[tex]\phi \quad \emptyset[/tex]
The first is phi and the second is "empty set".

This is why I got used to writing [tex]\varphi[/tex] for phi. Although I never learned if there is a proper time to use [tex]\phi[/tex] and a proper time to use [tex]\varphi[/tex].

Related to Proving/Disproving: U and V Intersection in Rn

What is U and V intersection in Rn?

The intersection of two sets U and V in the n-dimensional space, denoted as U ∩ V, refers to the set of all elements that are common to both U and V. In other words, it is the set of all points that are contained in both U and V.

How is U and V intersection in Rn represented mathematically?

In mathematics, U and V intersection in Rn is represented using set notation as U ∩ V = {x ∈ Rn | x ∈ U and x ∈ V}. This means that the intersection of U and V in Rn is a set containing all the elements x that are both in U and V.

What is the significance of U and V intersection in Rn?

The intersection of two sets in Rn is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many applications in various fields such as geometry, linear algebra, and topology. It helps us understand the relationship between sets and allows us to solve problems involving multiple sets.

How can we prove that the intersection of U and V in Rn is non-empty?

To prove that the intersection of U and V in Rn is non-empty, we can use the fact that if two sets have a common element, then their intersection will also have that element. Therefore, we need to show that there exists at least one element that is present in both U and V.

Is it possible for the intersection of U and V in Rn to be an empty set?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of U and V in Rn to be an empty set. This happens when the two sets do not have any common elements, meaning that there is no point in the n-dimensional space that is present in both U and V. In this case, the intersection would be represented as U ∩ V = ∅, where ∅ denotes an empty set.