Proving something that is equinumerous

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
In summary: I am slightly confused if it works. When I input my values I get numbers (0,1) or 0<x<1, so yes unless I am not understanding but this is how I interpreted it.You have arctan which is a 1-1 function from R onto ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)## and a function f which is (you need to prove) one to one from ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)## onto ##(0,1)##. Then you need to show or have a theorem about the compositions of bijections being a bijection.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Prove that (0,1) ≈ R.
Relevant Equations
arctan: R→(-π/2,π/2)
arctan(x)=y ⇔ tan(y)=x for x∈R and y∈(-π/2,π/2)
I am slightly confused as to how to prove this. I know that two sets are equinumerous if there is a bijection between them. So we are trying to find f: (0,1)→R? It told us that we may assume the inverse tangent function so that would mean
arctan: R→(-π/2,π/2). This satisfies arctan(x)=y ⇔ tan(y)=x for x∈R and y∈(-π/2,π/2). We were also given that we could assume arctan is a bijective without proof. I am having trouble moving forward from this information and how to construct a proof out of all of these.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:
I am slightly confused as to how to prove this. I know that two sets are equinumerous if there is a bijection between them. So we are trying to find f: (0,1)→R? It told us that we may assume the inverse tangent function so that would mean
arctan: R→(-π/2,π/2). This satisfies arctan(x)=y ⇔ tan(y)=x for x∈R and y∈(-π/2,π/2). We were also given that we could assume arctan is a bijective without proof. I am having trouble moving forward from this information and how to construct a proof out of all of these.

Thank you.
Think about how to get a bijection between ##(0,1)## and ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)## so you can combine it with the given arctan bijection to establish your 1-1 correspondence.

LCKurtz said:
Think about how to get a bijection between ##(0,1)## and ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)## so you can combine it with the given arctan bijection to establish your 1-1 correspondence.
I found f(x)=(1/2)+(x/π). But if we combine with arctan would it then be f(x)=(1/2)+(1/π)arctan(x)?

ver_mathstats said:
I found f(x)=(1/2)+(x/π). But if we combine with arctan would it then be f(x)=(1/2)+(1/π)arctan(x)?
Can't you tell me instead of asking? Does that work?

LCKurtz said:
Can't you tell me instead of asking? Does that work?
I am slightly confused if it works. When I input my values I get numbers (0,1) or 0<x<1, so yes unless I am not understanding but this is how I interpreted it.

You have arctan which is a 1-1 function from R onto ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)## and a function f which is (you need to prove) one to one from ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)## onto ##(0,1)##. Then you need to show or have a theorem about the compositions of bijections being a bijection.

Related to Proving something that is equinumerous

What does it mean for something to be equinumerous?

Equinumerous refers to two sets having the same number of elements. In other words, if there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two sets, then they are considered equinumerous.

How do you prove that two sets are equinumerous?

To prove that two sets are equinumerous, you must show that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets. This can be done by creating a function that maps each element of one set to a unique element in the other set, and vice versa.

Can two infinite sets be equinumerous?

Yes, two infinite sets can be equinumerous. For example, the set of natural numbers and the set of even numbers are equinumerous, even though the set of natural numbers is infinite and the set of even numbers is a proper subset of the natural numbers.

What is the significance of proving equinumerosity?

Proving that two sets are equinumerous allows us to compare the size of different sets. It also helps us understand the concept of infinity and how different infinite sets can have the same number of elements.

Can you prove that two sets are equinumerous without explicitly listing all of their elements?

Yes, it is possible to prove equinumerosity without listing all of the elements of the two sets. As long as a one-to-one correspondence can be established between the elements of the two sets, the sets are considered equinumerous.