Proving the General Expression for A_n by Induction in Fractal Geometry

In summary: Obviously, then, You we given some iteration: An+1= some function of An and asked to find n such that An+1= An to within one millionth= .000001. In other words where the right side differs from the left by less than .000001.You need to read the text more carefully to find where you were given that iteration.
L²Cc
I'm connected from a phone so it would be pretty hard to write out MY equation for An...here's the equation in words: square root of 3 over 4 + square root of 3 over 12 * ((9/5 -9/5(4/9)^n)...

using your general expression for A_n and the iterative (what does that mean?) relation between A_n and A_n+1 already established, prove the general expression for A_n by induction?

if you've read my previous post, I was looking for n when the value for the area (this relates to fractals) reaches a limit to the millionth decimal place, and I found it. at terms 17 (A_n+1) and 16 (A_n). now I'm confused, do not know how to prove my equation true without knowing the sum formula for the geometric sequence .

Physics news on Phys.org
L²Cc said:
...now I'm confused, do not know how to prove my equation true without knowing the sum formula for the geometric sequence .

The sum formula for a geometric sequence is giben by [tex]S_{n} = a_{1} \frac{q^n-1}{q-1}[/tex], where the general term of the sequence is [tex]a_{n}=a_{1} q^{n-1}[/tex]. I hope this helps.

ok thanks radou but my equation isn't set in general term format.
square root of 3 over 4 + square root of 3 over 12 * (9/5 -9/5(4/9)^n)
what do I do with the value that's added to the equation? square root of 3 over 4
this however can be the ratio: (9/5 -9/5(4/9)^n)
and the first term: square root of 3 over 12

Just a sec, is your expression [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}+\sqrt{\frac{3}{12}}\cdot\left(\frac{9}{5}-\frac{9}{5}\cdot\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^n\right)[/tex]?

radou said:
Just a sec, is your expression [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}+\sqrt{\frac{3}{12}}\cdot\left(\frac{9}{5}-\frac{9}{5}\cdot\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^n\right)[/tex]?
the four and the twelve of the fractions are NOT square root-ed. only the numerators are irrational (hence square root-ed)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sure that neither your dial up connection nor you small keyboard has anything to do with the fact that that is not an equation!
Even after we understand that you mean
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{12}\cdot\left(\frac{9}{5}-\frac{9}{5}\cdot\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^n\right)[/tex]
we still have no idea what you are trying to prove!

I'm as confused as you are, Halls of Ivy...This was the question we were asked...Perhaps you would understand the wording better than I did...
using your general expression for [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{12}\cdot\left(\ frac{9}{5}-\frac{9}{5}\cdot\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^n\right)[/tex] and the iterative relation between A_nand A_n+1 already established, prove the general expression for A_n by induction?

Last edited:
So presumably at some place earlier in the text or whatever, you were given or asked to derive an "iterative relation between An and An+1. That was "already established". What is it? You are asked to prove that the expression
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{12}\cdot\left(\frac{9}{5}-\frac{9}{5}\cdot\left(\frac{4}{9}\right)^n\right)[/tex]
satisfies a given equation. Before we can make any comments on that we need to know what that equation is!

HallsofIvy said:
So presumably at some place earlier in the text or whatever, you were given or asked to derive an "iterative relation between An and An+1. That was "already established". What is it? You are asked to prove that the expression
satisfies a given equation. Before we can make any comments on that we need to know what that equation is!
We were asked earlier in the text to find the value of n to within one millionth of a square unit when An = An+1 ...and at the 17th and 16th term the values are the same...do you see an iterative relation?

help...

L²Cc said:
We were asked earlier in the text to find the value of n to within one millionth of a square unit when An = An+1 ...and at the 17th and 16th term the values are the same...do you see an iterative relation?
Obviously, then, You we given some iteration: An+1= some function of An and asked to find n such that An+1= An to within one millionth= .000001. In other words where the right side differs from the left by less than .000001.
You need to read the text more carefully to find where you were given that iteration.
The fact that it says "of a square unit" is interesting. Is this some kind of applications problem where you are given units?

im not given any units. I did find the terms where An+1 and An are different by .000001
16 and 17

nevermind, found the answer!
Thanks for the help anyway!

Great. Just out of curiosity, what was the iteration equation?

In question six, we are told that An=An+1, so I had this one equation on area which wasn't the general term, but it was another method of finding the area of the koch snowflake. I susbstituted n+1 for n. Then I added An to An+1 and ended up with equation An, hence An is true whenever An+1 is true. (am i making an sense? lol)

Related to Proving the General Expression for A_n by Induction in Fractal Geometry

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves breaking the proof into two steps: the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first natural number, and the inductive step, where the statement is shown to be true for the next natural number assuming it is true for the previous one.

2. Why is mathematical induction important?

Mathematical induction is important because it allows us to prove statements that are true for infinitely many natural numbers. It is also a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many branches such as number theory, algebra, and analysis.

3. Can mathematical induction be used for any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements that are only true for a specific set of numbers, such as even numbers or prime numbers.

4. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

The main difference between strong and weak induction is the way the inductive step is formulated. In strong induction, the inductive step assumes that the statement is true for all previous natural numbers, while in weak induction, it only assumes the statement is true for the previous natural number.

5. Can mathematical induction be used for other types of numbers besides natural numbers?

No, mathematical induction can only be used for natural numbers. However, there are similar techniques like structural induction that can be used for other types of mathematical objects, such as trees and graphs.