Psychometry question- on where to begin?

• Thread starter santeria13
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the specific humidity and temperature of the air entering the humidifying unit in a winter air-conditioning plant. The air has a temperature of 30°C and is 60% saturated, while dry saturated steam at 100°C is supplied to the unit. The specific humidity and temperature can be determined by using psychometric chart analysis and steady flow equations, taking into account the mass flow rate and enthalpy of the air and steam entering and exiting the unit. The term "unit" refers to the humidifier, and the specific humidity is the amount of water vapor in a sample of air. It is important to understand the concept of specific humidity and the enthalpies of the air and steam in order to
santeria13

Homework Statement

Moist air leaves the humidifying unit of a “winter” air-conditioning plant at a rate of 0.6 m3 /s. The air has a temperature of 30°C and is 60% saturated. Dry saturated steam at 100°C is supplied to the unit at a rate of 7.015 g/s. Determine the specific humidity and temperature of the air entering the unit, assuming that the pressure is 1.01325 bar throughout.

Homework Equations

steady flow equations e/g -Qin = ma(H2-H1) etc..
psychometric chart analysis

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I usually am comfortable solving such questions however do not know how to set it up in order to begin. I am confused by the use of the word unit and have never seen a question on an air conditioning system that gives me the value of temperature and mass flow rate of steam entering the humidifier. Isn't it the steam that humidifies the air and usually in these types of questions the temperature and relative humidity of the air/water entering the system and leaving the system are given however in this case theyre only given for the water leaving and for the steam that humidifies the air into water. I have no idea how to incorporate or make use of the steam values, nor can i find any similar examples on youtube or google, and would greatly appreciate anyones input. My problem here is where to begin rather on how to solve the whole question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know psychometry has to be used but I don't understand what to do with the steam values as I have never seen a question that uses them instead of the values of temperature/relative humidity and mass flow rate of the air entering the system

santeria13 said:
I know psychometry has to be used but I don't understand what to do with the steam values as I have never seen a question that uses them instead of the values of temperature/relative humidity and mass flow rate of the air entering the system

Psychometry is a psychic phenomena, and psychometrics is the discipline of psychological measurement. Might just be splitting straws here but it could turn out to be relevant.

Aha! "Not to be confused with psychrometrics, the measurement of the heat and water vapor properties of air."

santeria13 said:
Humidity is the amount of water vapor present in a sample of air. The incoming air has a certain percentage of water vapor already contained in it, and additional water vapor is being added in the form of 'dry' saturated steam, which means that this steam is composed of 100% water vapor. If you thoroughly mix the two streams, that is, the incoming moist air mixed with the steam, what is the specific humidity and temperature of the final product? You do have to understand what the term 'specific humidity' means in this context. You'll also need to know the enthalpies of the air and the steam in order to find the final temperature of the mixture.

"Unit" means the humidifier. The word "unit" is used for any arbitrary piece of processing equipment.
You have two streams entering the humidifier, and one stream exiting. The first step is to characterize the exit stream. I assume your tables give you the specific volume and specific enthalpy of 30 C air at 1 atm and 60% saturation, correct? If you know the specific enthalpy, what is the mass flow rate? What mass flow rate of bone dry air and of water does this imply? What is the rate of enthalpy exiting the unit?

Next, characterize the inlet stream of steam.

Chet

Related to Psychometry question- on where to begin?

1. What is psychometry and how is it used?

Psychometry is a practice in which a person can use their sense of touch to interpret information about an object, person, or place. It is often used in the field of parapsychology to gather information about a person's energy or history, but it is not considered a scientifically proven method.

2. How do I begin practicing psychometry?

The first step in practicing psychometry is to develop your ability to sense energy and vibrations through touch. This can be done through meditation, visualization exercises, and practicing with different objects. It is also helpful to work with someone who is experienced in psychometry to learn from their techniques.

3. What are some common objects used in psychometry?

While any object can potentially hold energy and be used in psychometry, some common objects used by practitioners include jewelry, photographs, clothing, and personal belongings. These objects are often associated with a particular person or event, making them easier to read energy from.

4. Can anyone learn psychometry?

Yes, anyone can learn the basics of psychometry with practice and dedication. However, some people may have a natural inclination towards this skill and may be able to develop it more quickly. It is important to remember that not everyone will have the same level of proficiency in psychometry.

5. Is psychometry a reliable method of obtaining information?

Psychometry is not considered a scientifically reliable method of obtaining information, as there is no way to prove or measure the accuracy of the information gathered. It is often used as a tool for personal growth and self-discovery, rather than a means of obtaining concrete information.