Publishing quality figures in MATLAB

In summary, the person is looking for an easier way to create high-quality figures in MATLAB. They mention that while they use MATLAB for calculations and plotting, they find it time-consuming to make their figures look professional. They also mention that they recently discovered that MATLAB supports LaTeX, which has improved the appearance of their figures. They are looking for suggestions or functions that can help make their figures look nicer.
read
Is there an easy way of making publishing quality figures in MATLAB? I use MATLAB for calculations and working plots, but to get a nice figure (I mean proper fonts, scales, some text, symbols, lines for different datasets) takes me so long time that I better use something like ORIGIN program for this. I guess there should be some templates...

Physics news on Phys.org
When I discovered that Matlab plots support LaTeX, my plots all suddenly were a bit nicer.

/theta_{k}^{2}

Here are a few functions that might help. Type "help <function name>" at the command line for more info

hold
xlabel
ylabel
title
legend

You can get much more by using >> plottools

p1ayaone1 said:
When I discovered that Matlab plots support LaTeX, my plots all suddenly were a bit nicer.

/theta_{k}^{2}
Thanks, good to know.

Here are a few functions that might help. Type "help <function name>" at the command line for more info

hold
xlabel
ylabel
title
legend

You can get much more by using >> plottools

Yes, this I use, but to make the figure nice I need quite some time...

patience is a virtue...

Yes, there are ways to create high-quality figures in MATLAB. One way is to use the built-in "export_fig" function, which allows you to save figures in various formats, such as PDF, EPS, and SVG. This function also preserves the quality of the figure, including fonts and line thickness. Additionally, there are templates and style sheets available online that can be used to customize the appearance of your figures in MATLAB. These can save time and ensure consistency in the formatting of your figures. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with MATLAB's graphics properties and settings, as they can greatly impact the appearance of your figures. With some practice and knowledge of these tools, you can create professional-looking figures in MATLAB without having to use a separate program.

Related to Publishing quality figures in MATLAB

1. How can I improve the overall quality of my figures in MATLAB?

To improve the quality of your figures in MATLAB, make sure to use high-resolution images and adjust the figure size accordingly. You can also use anti-aliasing to smooth out the edges of your figures.

2. What is the best file format to use when exporting a figure from MATLAB?

The best file format to use when exporting a figure from MATLAB is the vector-based format such as EPS or PDF. This will ensure that your figure maintains its quality when zoomed in or resized.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my figures in MATLAB?

You can customize the appearance of your figures in MATLAB by using various built-in tools and functions such as the figure properties dialog box, the plot editor, and the graphics toolbar. You can also use MATLAB's programming language to manually customize the appearance of your figures.

4. Can I add labels and annotations to my figures in MATLAB?

Yes, you can add labels and annotations to your figures in MATLAB using the xlabel, ylabel, and title functions. You can also use the text function to add custom annotations to your figures.

5. How can I export my figures from MATLAB without losing their quality?

To export your figures from MATLAB without losing their quality, make sure to use a high-resolution image format such as EPS or PDF. You can also adjust the export settings to ensure that the figure is exported at the desired resolution.