Quantization of angular momentum

In summary, the photon will have linear momentum along the direction of its travel and angular momentum about the z-axis.
S_Flaherty
Imagine a semi-classical birdcage of radius R with N regularly spaced bars individually separated by a spacing a. Now imagine there is a linear light source centered along the cylinder's axis z.

Use the dual wave/particle nature of light to show that angular momentum is quantized in the scattered light leaving the cage.

I'm having trouble starting this problem up. I think I'll have to solve some version of Schrodinger's equation, but I'm not sure. I thought of using Bragg's law, nλ = 2dsinθ, where I would set d = a in this case and try to figure out the case where n = 1. Can I assume a is quantized and have a = 2πR/N? I'm kind of lost so any help starting this problem up would be of great help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the bars as forming a diffraction grating. The light travels from the z-axis radially outward toward the grating. What are the possible angles that the light can be diffracted relative to the radial direction?

Consider a single photon diffracted at one of those angles. How much linear momentum does the photon carry? How much angular momentum does this linear momentum produce about the z-axis?

TSny said:
Think of the bars as forming a diffraction grating. The light travels from the z-axis radially outward toward the grating. What are the possible angles that the light can be diffracted relative to the radial direction?

Consider a single photon diffracted at one of those angles. How much linear momentum does the photon carry? How much angular momentum does this linear momentum produce about the z-axis?

Would the possible angles be where sinθ = nλ/a?

The linear momentum of the photon is p = E/c so if energy is quantized could I say that for
n = 1, p = 1.5ħω/c?

I don't know how to calculate the angular momentum of a photon.

S_Flaherty said:
Would the possible angles be where sinθ = nλ/a?
Yes, that look's good.
The linear momentum of the photon is p = E/c so if energy is quantized could I say that for
n = 1, p = 1.5ħω/c?

I don't know how to calculate the angular momentum of a photon.

You'll want to express the linear momentum of the photon in terms of the wavelength rather than the energy so that you can relate it to your formula for sinθ.

When the photon heads out in one of the allowed directions θ, it will carry linear momentum along that direction. From classical mechanics, we know how to calculate the angular momentum of a particle in terms of its linear momentum and the "lever arm" defined by the perpendicular distance from the origin to the line of motion of the particle. You'll probably want to draw a picture showing the line along which the photon travels after it exists the bird cage and use the picture to find an expression for the lever arm.

TSny said:
Yes, that look's good.

You'll want to express the linear momentum of the photon in terms of the wavelength rather than the energy so that you can relate it to your formula for sinθ.

When the photon heads out in one of the allowed directions θ, it will carry linear momentum along that direction. From classical mechanics, we know how to calculate the angular momentum of a particle in terms of its linear momentum and the "lever arm" defined by the perpendicular distance from the origin to the line of motion of the particle. You'll probably want to draw a picture showing the line along which the photon travels after it exists the bird cage and use the picture to find an expression for the lever arm.

Okay so p = h/λ, therefore sinθ = nh/ap. For the angular momentum wouldn't the lever arm just be the radius of the birdcage? So L = Rp = Rnh/asinθ?

No, the line along which the photon travels will not be tangent to the bird cage. So, the lever arm will not equal R.

TSny said:
No, the line along which the photon travels will not be tangent to the bird cage. So, the lever arm will not equal R.

The line it travels is radially outward so I don't know what to use as the perpendicular since it's trajectory is parallel to the radius of the cage.

S_Flaherty said:
The line it travels is radially outward so I don't know what to use as the perpendicular since it's trajectory is parallel to the radius of the cage.

The light travels radially from the center until it reaches the bars (i.e., the "grating"). The light will exit at one of the allowed angles θ relative to the radial direction. For θ = 0, the photon continues in the radial direction so that its line of travel has zero lever arm relative to the center of the cage (no angular momentum). But for θ ≠ 0, the line of travel after exiting the cage will not be radial.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The light travels radially from the center until it reaches the bars (i.e., the "grating"). The light will exit at one of the allowed angles θ relative to the radial direction. For θ = 0, the photon continues in the radial direction so that its line of travel has zero lever arm relative to the center of the cage (no angular momentum). But for θ ≠ 0, the line of travel after exiting the cage will not be radial.

Okay, so I got the lever arm as being Rsinθ using the law of sines but in this case θ is in degrees rather than radians.

Yes, the lever arm is Rsinθ. (It doesn't matter whether you're using degrees or radians.) So, what do you get for the angular momentum carried away by the photon?

TSny said:
Yes, the lever arm is Rsinθ. (It doesn't matter whether you're using degrees or radians.) So, what do you get for the angular momentum carried away by the photon?

So L = Rsinθp; sinθ = nh/ap so p = nh/asinθ. That gives L = Rsinθnh/asinθ, so L = Rnh/a.
Which is the solution, right?

That's what I got. You can write the answer in a little neater form by using the fact that the circumference of the cage should be Na and expressing the result in terms of h-bar rather than h.

TSny said:
That's what I got. You can write the answer in a little neater form by using the fact that the circumference of the cage should be Na and expressing the result in terms of h-bar rather than h.

Okay, so L = Nnh-bar. Thank you for all your help.

Related to Quantization of angular momentum

1. What is quantization of angular momentum?

Quantization of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that angular momentum can only exist in discrete values and cannot take on any arbitrary value. This means that the angular momentum of a system can only be a multiple of a fundamental unit of angular momentum, known as Planck's constant.

2. How does quantization of angular momentum differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, angular momentum can take on any value and is considered a continuous quantity. However, in quantum mechanics, the angular momentum is quantized, meaning it can only take on specific, discrete values. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the idea that particles can only exist in discrete energy levels.

3. What is the significance of quantization of angular momentum?

The quantization of angular momentum has important implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps to explain the stability of atoms, the shape of atomic orbitals, and the properties of various subatomic particles.

4. How is quantization of angular momentum related to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This also applies to angular momentum, meaning that the more precisely we know the angular momentum of a particle, the less precisely we know its position. This is because the act of measuring angular momentum affects the particle's position, and vice versa.

5. Can angular momentum be changed or altered in a quantum system?

Yes, angular momentum can be changed or altered in a quantum system. However, the change must occur in discrete steps, with the angular momentum remaining quantized. This change can occur through processes such as absorption or emission of photons, electron spin, or interactions with other particles.