Quantum Computing: Explaining the Number System & Its Power

In summary, the number system used in quantum computing is not necessarily a different system, but rather the ability to consider multiple solutions at the same time through a concept called binary superposition. This allows for much more efficient problem-solving and is what makes quantum computing more powerful than traditional computing. However, there are still challenges to be overcome, such as the need for low temperatures and difficulty in creating programs. Overall, the potential of quantum computers is great and it is believed that these challenges will eventually be solved.
Shano
I have seen other posts here on PF and I have done some internet research. In what I have found so far it is hard to get a plain English answer around the number system that is used in quantum computing. A lot of references are made to binary with a superposition.

Is there a way to simple way to explain the number system in quantum computing?

Also is the number system of quantum computing what makes this type of computing so much more powerful than traditional computing?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I am not sure that you want to call it a different "number system". (Although there certainly is a lot of advanced math involved). The huge advantage of the quantum computer is that it can consider many possible solutions at the same time and it can narrow down to a solution state in one step. Suppose you have a problem where the correct solution answer is 5 and a traditional computer must test the numbers 1, 2, ...,10 to find the solution. The traditional computer could step through at least 5 states (checking 1, checking 2, ...) to discover that 5 is the solution (state="found solution 5"). Now suppose you have a quantum computer that can consider all possibilities 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...,10 at the same time (state="considering 1,..,10) . Also suppose that you can "program" it to narrow down to the solution 5 in one step (state="found solution 5"). That would be powerful.
A quantum computer with 100 qbits might be able to simultaneously consider 2100=1029 possible solutions in one step. Now consider how powerful it would be if it were possible to build one with hundreds of thousands of qbits.

Last edited:
Ok, that makes a whole lot more sense than the information that I have found so far. So based on the example you have given where the solution is 5, would it be far to say that in a traditional computer you may iterate through a loop to find the answer of 5 whereas a quantum computer would not need to loop at all, it would have found 5 at the first iteration. Or I guess you could say it completed all iterations at the same time in parallel.

Also realize I am most likely really over simplifying this, however I am only looking for the general idea as I do not have the maths skills to understand the technicalities involved. (apologies for my ignorance)

Shano said:
Ok, that makes a whole lot more sense than the information that I have found so far. So based on the example you have given where the solution is 5, would it be far to say that in a traditional computer you may iterate through a loop to find the answer of 5 whereas a quantum computer would not need to loop at all, it would have found 5 at the first iteration. Or I guess you could say it completed all iterations at the same time in parallel.
Yes. That is the key advantage that quantum computers have. They also have some great disadvantages that people are working on now. One is that they are very sensitive to heat or energy disturbances and must run at extremely low temperatures. Another is that creating "programs" to make them solve the desired problem is very difficult. Some approaches only get "near" the solution with a certain probability. But the potential of quantum computers is so great that I am confident that the problems will be solved.

PS. Being able to consider several possible solutions simultaneously is where the "binary superposition" comes in.

Last edited:

Related to Quantum Computing: Explaining the Number System & Its Power

What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing technology that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information. It differs from classical computing in that it uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for more complex calculations and faster processing.

How does quantum computing use the number system?

Quantum computing uses the same number system as classical computing, which is the decimal system. However, it also utilizes the principles of superposition and entanglement to perform calculations on qubits, which allows for a larger range of numbers to be represented and manipulated.

What are the advantages of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to solve complex problems that are currently impossible or impractical for classical computers to solve. It can also perform certain calculations much faster than classical computers, making it useful for tasks such as optimization, simulation, and cryptography.

What are the challenges facing quantum computing?

One of the biggest challenges facing quantum computing is maintaining the stability and coherence of qubits, as they are highly sensitive to external interference. Another challenge is developing scalable quantum algorithms that can effectively utilize the power of quantum computers.

How is quantum computing being used in real-world applications?

Quantum computing is currently being used in various research fields, such as chemistry, materials science, and finance. It is also being explored for potential applications in fields like drug discovery, weather forecasting, and artificial intelligence. However, practical, commercial uses of quantum computing are still in the early stages of development.