Quantum mechanics HW problem on infinite square well.

In summary: This is what has been done here, namely In summary, the integral <x> can be solved by substituting y for ##\frac{n\pi x}{a}## and then using the equations y = ##\frac{n\pi x}{a}## and dx = ##\frac{a}{n\pi}dy##, resulting in the equation ##<x>= \frac{2}{a}\int_{0}^{a=n\pi}y \sin^{2}ydy \times \frac{a}{n\pi} \times \frac{a}{n\pi}##. This method simplifies solving the integral and allows for easier manipulation of the integrand.
quellcrist
##<x>= \int_{0}^{a}x\left | \psi \right |^{2}dx##
##\psi (x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}##
then ##<x>= \frac{2}{a} \int_{0}^{a}x \sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}dx##

2. Homework Equations

1) ##y=\frac{n\pi x}{a}## then ##dy=\frac{n\pi}{a}dx##
and
2)
##y=\frac{n\pi x}{a}## then ##dx=\frac{a}{n\pi}dy##

then
##\psi (x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin(y)##
##<x>= \frac{2}{a}\int_{0}^{a=n\pi}y \sin^{2}ydy \times \frac{a}{n\pi} \times \frac{a}{n\pi}##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I don't need help solving the general problem for the expectation value of x...I have the solution manual. The question I have is about how/why they chose to solve the integral this way by substituting y for (n*pi*x)/(a)? I understand how 1) works but I need help clarifying how 2) works.

I need a general walkthrough of why they are doing this integral this way.

Thank you

<Moderator's note: formatting tidied up. OP, please make sure your posts are readable and use the proper LaTeX tags>

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quell,
It is pretty customary to work around integrands with ##\sin ax## to get integrands with ##\sin y## : it makes it easier to get this factor a outside the integral, especially when higher powers occur and/or partial integrations are involved.

Related to Quantum mechanics HW problem on infinite square well.

1. What is an infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

An infinite square well is a hypothetical potential energy function that is used to model the behavior of a particle confined within a certain region. It is characterized by infinite potential barriers on either side of the well, and a constant potential within the well itself.

2. How is the energy of a particle in an infinite square well determined?

The energy of a particle in an infinite square well is determined by the energy eigenvalues, which are given by the formula E_n = (n^2 * h^2) / (8mL^2), where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the well.

3. What is the wave function for a particle in an infinite square well?

The wave function for a particle in an infinite square well is a standing wave, given by the formula psi_n(x) = sqrt(2/L) * sin(n * pi * x / L), where x is the position within the well and n is the quantum number.

4. How does the energy of a particle in an infinite square well change with increasing quantum number?

The energy of a particle in an infinite square well increases with increasing quantum number. This means that as the quantum number n increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced. This is known as the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics.

5. What is the significance of the infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite square well is a simple and important model in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined systems. It also serves as a starting point for understanding more complex systems and phenomena in quantum mechanics.