Quantum - Projection Probability - Projection amplitudes for SHO states.

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a table of projection amplitudes between two normalized 2D SHO wave functions in different representations. The table is similar to Table 7-1 for photon polarization states. However, the individual bases have different forms and a relation between the two is needed to create the table.
metgt4
Quantum - Projection Probability - "Projection amplitudes for SHO states."

Given the two normalized 2D SHO wave functions <x,y|mx[/SUB ],ny> for the second energy level n = nx + ny = 1 in the mx[/SUB ],ny representation:

<x,y|1,0> = (2/pi)1/2xexp[-(x2+y2)/2]
<x,y|0,1> = (2/pi)1/2yexp[-(x2+y2)/2]

and in the alternative n, m representation <x,y|n,m>

<x,y|1,+1> = (1/pi)1/2(x+iy)exp[-(x2+y2)/2]

<x,y|1,-1> = (1/pi)1/2(x-iy)exp[-(x2+y2)/2]

(a) Construct a table of projection amplitudes between these two similar to Table 7-1 (I'll include this table in the attachments) for photon polarization states.

The question continues, but I would like to work the rest out myself. I just don't seem to understand how to change from one base to the other for this question!Thanks for any hints or help you can give me!

Andrew

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Am I at all on the right track here? I have a relation between the two bases, but this is as far as I've gotten all week! What I've got is attached.

Thanks!
Andrew

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 416

Related to Quantum - Projection Probability - Projection amplitudes for SHO states.

1. What is quantum projection probability?

Quantum projection probability is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the probability of a quantum system being in a certain state after measurement. It is based on the projection of the system's state onto a specific subspace.

2. What are projection amplitudes for SHO states?

Projection amplitudes for SHO (simple harmonic oscillator) states are mathematical quantities that describe the probability of a quantum system in a specific SHO state being projected onto another state after measurement. They are calculated using the inner product of the two states.

3. How are projection amplitudes for SHO states used in quantum mechanics?

Projection amplitudes for SHO states are used to calculate the probability of a quantum system being in a certain state after measurement. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, such as in the study of quantum entanglement and quantum teleportation.

4. What is the difference between projection probability and projection amplitude?

The main difference between projection probability and projection amplitude is that projection probability gives the actual probability of a quantum system being in a certain state after measurement, while projection amplitude is a mathematical quantity used to calculate this probability. Projection amplitude also takes into account the complex nature of quantum states, whereas projection probability only gives a real number value.

5. How are projection amplitudes for SHO states related to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

Projection amplitudes for SHO states are related to other important concepts in quantum mechanics, such as wave functions, Hamiltonians, and observables. They are also closely connected to the principles of superposition and measurement in quantum mechanics, as they describe the probabilities of a system collapsing into a certain state after measurement.