Quantum Scattering: Do I Need to Lookup Orthogonal Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to obtain equation 15.5.7 from equation 15.5.6 by comparing terms in the expansion and using the orthogonality of functions. The final equation involves simplifying and making Pl(cosθ) equal to 1, but this is not a valid step. The person asking for clarification also asks for a hint on how to use the orthogonality condition in this context.
NewtonApple
I need a little more explanation about the solution discussed in the following thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410830

Do I've to lookup for orthogonal functions?

PS. required thread is closed so I'm posting here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone clarify how did they get equation 15.5.7?

2gsfred.jpg

Attachments

• qpnns5.jpg
    qpnns5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 394
They just compared the terms in the expansion term one by one. If the two expansions are equal to each other then each coefficient of the expansion is equal to each other. It's possible to prove that by use of the orthogonality of the functions as you guessed.

Likes 1 person
ok after substituting values in Equation [15.5.6]

we get

$$\sum A_{l}\frac{e^{\iota(kr-\pi/2l+\delta_{l})}-e^{-\iota(kr-\pi/2l+\delta_{l})}}{2\iota kr}P_{l}(Cos\theta)= \sum[(2l+1)\iota^{l} \frac{e^{\iota(kr-\pi/2l+\delta_{l})}-e^{-\iota(kr-\pi/2l+\delta_{l})}}{2\iota kr}P_{l}(Cos\theta)
+ \frac{1}{r}\sum f_{l}P_{l}(Cos\theta)e^{\iota kr}]P_{l}(Cos\theta) $$

simplifying and making [itex]P_{l}(Cos\theta) \rightarrow 1[/itex]

we have

[itex]A_{l}\frac{e^{\iota{kr-\pi/2l+\delta_l}}}{2\iota kr} - A_{l}\frac{e^{-\iota kr-\pi/2l+\delta_l}}{2\iota kr} = (2l+1) i^{l}\frac{e^{\iota kr-\pi/2l+\delta_l}}{2\iota kr} - (2l+1) i^{l}\frac{e^{-\iota kr-\pi/2l+\delta_l}}{2\iota kr} + f_{l} \frac{e^{\iota kr}}{r} [/itex]

now what? please give me some hint.

Last edited:
"Now what" what? what are you trying to calculate? Also, you can't make Pl(cosθ) equal 1. That makes no sense. It is a function of θ.

I'm trying to follow the steps in the given solution. I don't know how to use orthogonality condition here.

Related to Quantum Scattering: Do I Need to Lookup Orthogonal Functions?

1. What is quantum scattering?

Quantum scattering is a phenomenon in which particles interact with one another in a way that affects their trajectories and properties. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics, as it helps us understand how particles behave at the microscopic level.

2. What are orthogonal functions?

Orthogonal functions are mathematical functions that are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph. In the context of quantum scattering, they are used to represent the wavefunctions of particles, which describe their probability of being in a certain location.

3. Why do I need to use orthogonal functions in quantum scattering?

Orthogonal functions are used in quantum scattering because they provide a convenient and efficient way to describe the behavior of particles. By using orthogonal functions, we can simplify complex calculations and better understand the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. How do I lookup orthogonal functions?

There are several resources available for looking up orthogonal functions, such as textbooks, online databases, and scientific papers. You can also consult with other scientists or your colleagues who may have knowledge and experience in this area.

5. What are some common applications of quantum scattering?

Quantum scattering has various applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to study the properties of atoms and molecules, as well as the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions. It also has applications in the development of technologies such as semiconductors and medical imaging devices.