Quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quaternions in an OpenGL system and how they can be applied to rotate objects. The speaker is wondering if it is possible to convert the rotation around a fixed axis system to a rotating axis system. The expert suggests converting the quaternions to Euler angles and provides resources for the conversion process.
Sly_Raccoon
Hi All,

I Have a system which is supplying me with quaternions, working in opengl I am setting the orientation of a model to the quaternion I am given, and it is seen that all changes in pitch are shown as changes in rotation around the opengl x-axis (1 is left), all changes in roll are shown as changes in rotation around the opengl z axis (1 is out of the screen) and all changes in yaw are shown as changes in rotation around the opengl y-axis (1 is up).

is there a way to convert this rotation around a fixed axis system to a rotation around a rotating axis system?

Regards.
Graham

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi Graham,

Thank you for sharing your question with the forum. It sounds like you are working with a system that supplies you with quaternions, which are a type of mathematical object used to represent rotations in 3D space. In OpenGL, these rotations are typically applied using the fixed axis system, where the x, y, and z axes are fixed and do not change. However, it is possible to convert these rotations to a rotating axis system, where the axes change with each rotation.

To do this, you will need to use some mathematical equations to convert the quaternion rotations to Euler angles, which represent the rotation around the x, y, and z axes. From there, you can apply the rotations using the rotating axis system. There are several resources online that can help you with the conversion process, such as this blog post from Unity or this paper from the University of Cambridge.

I hope this helps you with your project. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.

Related to Quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic

What is quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic?

Quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic refers to the process of converting a quaternion from an extrinsic coordinate system to an intrinsic coordinate system. This involves adjusting the quaternion's orientation to align with a different set of axes.

Why is quaternion conversion important in science?

Quaternion conversion is important in science because it allows for more efficient representation and manipulation of rotations in three-dimensional space. This is especially useful in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering.

What is the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic coordinate systems?

An extrinsic coordinate system is defined relative to an external frame of reference, such as a global coordinate system. In contrast, an intrinsic coordinate system is defined relative to an object's own frame of reference, and its orientation can change as the object rotates.

How is quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic performed?

To convert a quaternion from extrinsic to intrinsic, the quaternion's orientation is first represented using Euler angles or a rotation matrix. The orientation is then adjusted to align with the new set of axes, and the resulting angles or matrix are converted back to a quaternion.

What are some applications of quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic?

Quaternion conversion extrinsic to intrinsic is used in a variety of applications, including 3D animation, virtual reality, and flight simulation. It is also essential for accurate navigation and control in autonomous systems such as drones and satellites.