Question about direction of Moments 3d

In summary: The force vector in your first cross product is incorrect, but it is correct in the second cross product.The correct force vector for the tension in AB must have a negative x-component.
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

knowing the tension in cable AB is 570 N, determine the moment about each of the coordinate axes of the force exerted on the plate at B . This link has a picture http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/knowing-tension-cable-ab-570-n-determine-moment-coordinate-axes-force-exerted-plate-b-q3031608

My question is when I am doing the cross product I do r X F . so <900, 0,0> X <450, -350, -180>

Instead of Fsub AB I do F sub BA so < 900,0,0> X < -450, 350,180> and I get an answer the opposite sign. Does it matter which way I find the force vector? and are both answer equivalent?

162j-270K or -162j +270K

I know how to solve the problem I just don't understand why you can use the tension from AB or BA because the answer will have different signs.

Homework Equations

r X F

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does make a difference.

The force vector in your first cross product is incorrect, but it is correct in the second cross product.
The correct force vector for the tension in AB must have a negative x-component.

SteamKing said:
Yes, it does make a difference.

The force vector in your first cross product is incorrect, but it is correct in the second cross product.
The correct force vector for the tension in AB must have a negative x-component.

Why does it have to have a negative x component?

Unit Vector BA =< -450, 300, 180>
Unit Vector AB=< 450, -300, -180>

My solution manual is using BA but my teacher is saying it doesn't matter so I am confused. Please explain.. Thanks in advance:)

It matters because you have a tension in line AB. This tension is acting to hold the plate up. If you substituted vector AB, then that force would tend to push the plate in the opposite direction, below the x-axis.

Are you sure your teacher is saying the direction of the force vector doesn't matter?

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that the direction of the moment is dependent on the choice of coordinate system. In this case, the homework statement does not specify a specific coordinate system, so either direction is acceptable as long as it is consistent throughout the problem.

In terms of finding the force vector, it is important to note that the cross product is not commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does matter. So when finding the moment, it is important to use the correct order of the vectors. In this case, using either F_AB or F_BA will result in different signs because the vectors are in opposite directions. However, both answers are equivalent in terms of magnitude, so either one can be used as long as it is consistent throughout the problem.

It is also important to note that the direction of the moment is dependent on the choice of coordinate system, so the sign of the answer may change depending on the chosen coordinate system. Therefore, it is important to clearly define the coordinate system in the problem statement to avoid confusion.

Related to Question about direction of Moments 3d

What is a moment in 3D?

A moment in 3D refers to the measure of rotational force around an axis, which is perpendicular to the plane of motion. It is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

What is the direction of a moment in 3D?

The direction of a moment in 3D is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the force, the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the moment.

How is the direction of a moment represented?

The direction of a moment is typically represented using the cross product or the vector product. This is denoted by the symbol "x" and is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

Can the direction of a moment change?

Yes, the direction of a moment can change if the direction of the force or the axis of rotation changes. This will affect the magnitude and direction of the moment, as it is dependent on both the force and the axis.

What is the importance of understanding the direction of moments in 3D?

Understanding the direction of moments in 3D is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It allows us to accurately predict the behavior of objects under rotational forces and design structures that can withstand these forces.