Question about galaxy formation and black holes.

In summary, the current standard model of structure formation suggests that dark matter halos formed first and then gas accreted to form galaxies. The role of super-massive black holes in this process is still unclear and a subject of ongoing research. Some theories propose that they formed from the earliest stages of star formation within proto-galaxies, while others suggest they formed later from smaller black holes accreting large amounts of gas in dense galactic environments. There is no consensus on this topic at this time and it remains an active area of research.
fellupahill
In another topic, a member dave13214321323 or whatever his name is :p said that the popular opinion is that in the early universe gas contracted into denser spaces forming galaxies and black holes were consequences of galaxy formation, not the other way around; Black holes at centers of galaxies were not formed by super massive early stars that when burned out and SNed and formed BHs, collected all the matter around it and formed galaxies?.? The first seems completely logically but the problem is so does the latter. I have read the theory conflicting with dave's post in multiple places, but I'm not sure if I have read dave's tho it is entirely possible I have and don't remember.

Can anyone provide a clear answer with PF Approved Sources?

**I have not the knowledge to make speculation as to what is correct on this topic. I am only asking questions, and probably made a mistake or two in my understanding on this topic and every other. Please correct me if I made any errors.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've heard both as possibilities, but I don't know if there is a consensus on it at this time.

The standard model of structure formation is called "[itex]\Lambda[/itex]CDM" or "Lambda Cold Dark Matter", where 'lambda' refers to the cosmological constant---or 'dark energy'. According to this model, initial over-density of dark matter (DM) grew into massive 'halos' of DM, which then accreted significant amounts of gas to for galaxies.

Most of the earliest star formation is expected to have started once gas was being funneled into those protogalaxies---I'm not sure how much could happen outside-of (or before) those proto-galaxies started to form. So the paradigm is dark matter halos ---> galaxies from gas accretion.

The role of super-massive black-holes (SMBHs) is more unclear. It isn't known how exactly SMBHs are able to form---thats a big issue in-and-of itself. The general picture is that they form from giant ("Population III") stars, in the earliest stages of star formation. This suggests the BH's started to form after the proto-galaxies began to form. Further-more, for the initial, smaller, BH's to grow into SMBH's they need LOTS of ambient gas accretion---which requires a dense galactic environment; again suggesting that some type of proto-galaxy was already in place.

As Drakkith said, this is far from a resolved issue---and the details are lacking; its a very active field of research in galaxy formation.

Related to Question about galaxy formation and black holes.

What is the current understanding of galaxy formation?

The current understanding of galaxy formation is that it began with the collapse of a large cloud of gas and dust, known as a protogalactic cloud, which eventually formed into a spinning disk. As the disk spun faster, the gas and dust collapsed towards the center, forming a dense mass which eventually became the galaxy's central bulge. As the galaxy evolved, smaller clumps of gas and dust merged together to form stars, planets, and other structures within the galaxy.

How do black holes form within galaxies?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under the weight of its own gravity. This creates a singularity, a point of infinite density, which is surrounded by an event horizon. The event horizon is the point at which the force of gravity is so strong that not even light can escape, making black holes invisible to the naked eye. Some black holes form at the center of galaxies, known as supermassive black holes, while others form from the collapse of smaller stars, known as stellar-mass black holes.

What role do black holes play in galaxy formation?

Black holes play a crucial role in galaxy formation by influencing the distribution of matter and the growth of galaxies. As matter falls into a black hole, it releases a tremendous amount of energy, which can heat up and push gas and dust away from the center of the galaxy. This process, known as feedback, can regulate the rate at which stars form and help shape the structure of the galaxy.

Can galaxies exist without black holes?

Yes, galaxies can exist without black holes. While black holes are common in most galaxies, there are a few examples of galaxies that do not contain a black hole at their center. These galaxies tend to be smaller and less evolved, and may have had their black holes ejected due to gravitational interactions with other galaxies.

How do scientists study galaxy formation and black holes?

Scientists study galaxy formation and black holes through a variety of methods, including observations with telescopes and space-based instruments, computer simulations, and theoretical models. By analyzing the light and other forms of radiation emitted by galaxies and black holes, scientists can learn about their composition, structure, and evolution. Additionally, studying the behavior and interactions of galaxies and black holes can reveal important insights about the laws of physics and the nature of the universe.