Question about Nick Herbert's Bell proof

In summary: The statistics also predicts cos^2 theta, so the two agree nicely.In summary, the conversation is about Nick Herbert's book 'Quantum Reality' and his intuitive proof of Bell's theorem. The conversation focuses on Herbert's graphs on pp. 223 and 224, which show the 'matches per four marks' as a function of 'calcite difference.' The disagreement arises when Herbert defines PC (polarization correlation) as "the fraction of matches" between the two calcites, while the statistical definition of correlation ranges from -1 to 1. It is noted that the results nicely match the cos^2 theta function in quantum mechanics. However, there is a confusion about the correct range to use for QM predictions,
bruce2g
I've just finished reading Nick Herbert's book 'Quantum Reality,' and I was a bit puzzled by his intuitive proof of Bell's theorem.

The part that puzzles me is the graphs on pp. 223 and 224, Fig 12.4 and 12.5. These show the 'matches per four marks' as a function of 'calcite difference.' They say that when the calcite difference is 90 degrees, the matches are zero.

It seems to me that when the calcite difference is 90 degrees, the correlation is zero, but then the matches should be 2 out of 4, since there's a 50-50 chance of a match when the correlation is zero. It seems to me that the calcite difference would need to be 180 degrees to achieve 0 matches.

Am I missing something, or did Herbert confuse 'correlation = zero' with 'matches = zero?'

Bruce

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbert has it right. At 0 degrees the system exhibits perfect correlation (= 1); at 90 degrees, perfect anti-correlation (= -1). No randomness at all at those angles.

Doc Al said:
Herbert has it right. At 0 degrees the system exhibits perfect correlation (= 1); at 90 degrees, perfect anti-correlation (= -1). No randomness at all at those angles.

Thanks. The problem stems from the fact that Herbert defines PC (polarization correlation) as "the fraction of matches" between the two calcites (p. 217). So actually, PC is a probablility between zero and 1, and it's not a statistical correlation (-1 to 1).

Since I have a statistics background, I got a little confused when he said (again on p. 217) "At zero degrees, PC = 1; at ninety degrees, PC = 0." As you noted, the actual (statistical) correlation at 90 degrees is -1.

My guess is that someone like Aspect or Bell started calling the coincidence count rate a "correlation" several decades ago, and it stuck; so the word "correlation" when used in the phrase "polarization correlation" has a different quantitative meaning than it has in normal statistics.

Just for the record, if 'r' is the statistical correlation and 'p' is the probability of a match (the 'polarization correlation'),
r = E(XY) = (1)p + (-1)(1-p) = 2p - 1, and
p = (r+1)/2
(based on the fact that XY = 1 when they match and -1 when they don't).

Other than this little confusion, Herbert's compact proof of Bell's theorem is terrific!

bruce2g said:
Since I have a statistics background, I got a little confused when he said (again on p. 217) "At zero degrees, PC = 1; at ninety degrees, PC = 0." As you noted, the actual (statistical) correlation at 90 degrees is -1.

You are exactly correct. The statistical view is different than how "correlation" is used with Bell tests. There are some places where it is actually presented as you describe (-1 to 1), but the majority have the range going from 0 to 1. That is because the results then nicely match the cos^2 theta function that is the driver for the quantum mechanical predictions.

DrChinese said:
There are some places where it is actually presented as you describe (-1 to 1), but the majority have the range going from 0 to 1. That is because the results then nicely match the cos^2 theta function that is the driver for the quantum mechanical predictions.
I have a question. Is not the range [-1 to 0.0 to + 1] completely different than [0 to +1] ? If so, which is the correct range to use for QM predictions, or does it not matter ?

Rade said:
I have a question. Is not the range [-1 to 0.0 to + 1] completely different than [0 to +1] ? If so, which is the correct range to use for QM predictions, or does it not matter ?

The QM predictions are from 0 to 1. The prediction is for a match (++ or --) relative to the angle theta between the polarizers. The QM prediction is cos^2 theta.

Related to Question about Nick Herbert's Bell proof

1. What is Nick Herbert's Bell proof?

Nick Herbert's Bell proof is a mathematical proof that is used to demonstrate the existence of non-locality in quantum mechanics. It is based on the work of physicist John Stewart Bell and is often used to support the idea of entanglement in quantum systems.

2. How does Nick Herbert's Bell proof work?

The Bell proof uses a series of mathematical equations, known as Bell's inequalities, to show that certain correlations between particles in a quantum system cannot be explained by classical physics. This implies the existence of non-locality, where particles can influence each other instantaneously regardless of distance.

3. What is the significance of Nick Herbert's Bell proof?

Nick Herbert's Bell proof is significant because it supports the idea of non-locality and entanglement in quantum mechanics, which are both fundamental concepts in modern physics. It also challenges our understanding of cause and effect and has implications for the development of future technologies, such as quantum computing.

4. How has Nick Herbert's Bell proof been tested and verified?

Nick Herbert's Bell proof has been tested and verified through numerous experiments, including the famous Aspect experiment in 1982. These experiments have consistently shown violations of Bell's inequalities, providing evidence for the existence of non-locality in quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of Nick Herbert's Bell proof?

One limitation of Nick Herbert's Bell proof is that it assumes that the quantum system being studied is isolated and there are no hidden variables at play. Some physicists have proposed alternative theories, such as local hidden variable theories, that could explain the observed correlations without the need for non-locality. However, these theories have not been supported by experimental evidence.