Question about physics graduate school

In summary: However, if you're really serious about getting into a graduate school, I would strongly recommend taking a course in theoretical physics. This will give you a much better understanding of the fundamental concepts in physics, and will also be good preparation for the graduate exam. In summary, if you want to get into a graduate school in theoretical physics, you should take a course in theoretical physics.
Dr. Philgood
Hello all,

I am currently an undergraduate in physics and have a significant amount of room in my schedule for classes. This is because I took mostly maths and general classes my freshman year, when deciding my major, and now will have to stay an extra half or full year to complete the core physics classes. My question is what classes outside of physics(if any) will advance my chances of getting accepted into graduate school. I am not interested in double majoring and a mathematics minor is basically contained within the physics major. I have a choice of classes from any other field and maths which aren't included in the physics degree, and I was just wondering what would be most helpful? Maybe just any maths which aren't required that you graduate students find yourself using on a regular basis that I could get a jump start on, or anything else that would make me a more well rounded physicist.

Maths which are required: Obviously Calc I,II, and III, Differential equations, Partial Differential equations and linear algebra.(I noticed that absolutely no statistics is required, perhaps I am expected to pick that up in quantum?)

If it helps my area of interest for graduate school is theory in either astrophysics or particle physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take any classes that would give me programming skills. I hear knowing how to use python, matlab, fortran, c or anything of the like is quite useful in grad school. Cheers.

I agree; take a basic programming class if you can't program already, and then look for something like a computational math or numerical analysis class.

Okay it sounds like computer programming could be very beneficial. I have to take a python course for my major but nothing really after that. Would you recommend becoming familiar with java or c? I hear fortran is used a lot but is beginning to be phased out by c.

One of my professors from community college did theoretical physics on string theory at caltech and said his most useful course was a numerical class. I didn't do any numerical methods courses as an undergraduate and I imagine that will slow me down in the long run, so that's a recommendation.

Complex analysis is useful, maybe take a graduate class or two.

Related to Question about physics graduate school

What are the requirements for admission into a physics graduate program?

The specific requirements for admission into a physics graduate program may vary between universities, but generally, applicants are expected to have a strong academic background in physics and mathematics. This may include a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose.

How long does it typically take to complete a physics graduate program?

The length of a physics graduate program can vary, but most programs take between 2-3 years to complete. This may also depend on the specific program and whether the student is pursuing a master's or doctoral degree.

What research opportunities are available for graduate students in physics?

Many graduate programs in physics offer research opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience in their field. These opportunities may include working with faculty on ongoing research projects, conducting independent research, or participating in internships or collaborations with other universities or institutions.

What career options are available after completing a physics graduate program?

Graduates with a degree in physics have a variety of career options, including working in research and development, academia, or in industries such as technology, aerospace, or energy. They may also pursue further education or training in fields such as engineering or medicine.

Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree in order to be accepted into a physics graduate program?

No, it is not always necessary to have an undergraduate degree in physics to be accepted into a physics graduate program. Many programs consider applicants from a variety of backgrounds, including those with degrees in related fields such as mathematics or engineering. However, a strong foundation in physics and mathematics is typically required for success in a physics graduate program.