Question about tension and deflection (Mechanics of Material)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the tension caused by a force P in three rods connected to a rigid bar. There are three relevant equations, including the sum of moments and forces in the y direction, as well as a comparison between deflections at points A, C, and E. The problem can be solved by replacing force P with an equivalent force-couple system at the midpoint.
shinizaki
Hello everyone, I have some difficulties to solve this question in my homework.

Homework Statement

Picture
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7953/picz.png

Rigid bar ACE connected to rod AB, CD, EF which have same material and surface area A. Calculate tension caused by force P in three rods.

2. Homework Equations
Equation :
sigma Fy = 0
sigma M =0
comparison between deflection in A, C, and E

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to solve this question but I can't find sufficient equation to solve it. It have 4 equations and I only find 3. Please help me solve this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried summing the moments around different points?

You haven't shown your working, but have you considered the property of the bar that it is rigid? What does that imply for the displacements of A, C and E?

shinizaki said:
. Relevant equations
Equation :
sigma Fy = 0
sigma M =0
comparison between deflection in A, C, and E
these are your 3 relevant 'equations'
It has 4 equations and I only find 3.
there are 3 relevant equations (as you note; the last is concerned with geometric compatability) and 3 unknowns (the tensions in each rod). What do you mean by four ?(the x direction is irrelevant here). Note that the bar is rigid, but that the rods can extend or compress (which should have been more clearly stated in the problem). Hint: This problem is best solved by replacing the force P with an equivalent force-couple system at midpoint.

When I try a few times again, I can solve it at last ! The unknown P I change to one so I have 3 unknowns and 3 equation then revert it back to P. Thanks all^^

Related to Question about tension and deflection (Mechanics of Material)

1. What is tension and how does it affect deflection?

Tension refers to the pulling force applied to an object. In the context of mechanics of materials, it is a type of stress that occurs when forces act to elongate or stretch a material. Tension can affect deflection by causing a material to deform or bend under the applied force.

2. How do you calculate tension and deflection in a material?

Tension and deflection can be calculated using the material's properties such as Young's modulus, cross-sectional area, and length. The formula for tension is force divided by the cross-sectional area, while the formula for deflection is force times length divided by the product of Young's modulus and the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors can affect the tension and deflection of a material?

The tension and deflection of a material can be affected by various factors such as the material's composition, shape, and size. Other factors include the type and magnitude of the applied force, temperature, and the presence of any defects or imperfections in the material.

4. How does tension and deflection play a role in the design of structures?

Tension and deflection are important considerations in the design of structures as they can affect the overall stability, strength, and durability of the structure. Engineers must carefully calculate and account for tension and deflection to ensure that a structure can withstand anticipated forces and loads without failing.

5. Can tension and deflection be controlled or minimized in a material?

Yes, tension and deflection can be controlled or minimized in a material through various methods. These include using materials with high strength and stiffness, reducing the applied forces or loads, and implementing design techniques such as adding reinforcements or supports to distribute the forces and stresses more evenly.