Question on correctly interpreting a bra-ket equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the uncertainty in energy ##\Delta E## in a given exercise. The questions ask for clarification on the notation used, specifically the meaning of ##(\hat H - \bar E )^2## and whether ##\hat H^2 \psi = E^2 \psi##. The background information provided includes the expression for ##\Phi## and the normalization of ##\Phi##. The expert confirms that the first question is correct and provides an explanation for the second question. The person asking for help expresses gratitude and feels confident to continue with the exercise.
blaisem
I am trying to solve for the uncertainty in energy ##\Delta E## in the following exercise:
$$\Delta E = \sqrt{\langle \Phi | (\hat H - \bar E )^2 | \Phi \rangle}$$
Questions
  1. What does ##(\hat H - \bar E )^2## mean? Is it a simple binomial expansion into ##\hat H^2 - 2 \bar E \hat H + \bar E^2##, which I distribute over ##|\Phi \rangle##?
  2. If that is the case, does ##\hat H^2 \psi = E^2 \psi##?

I'm not inquiring for the full solution. I simply do not understand the notation in order to begin.

Background
In case a broader context is important, here is the full info available to me:
$$\begin{align} \Phi = a_1 \psi _1 &+ a_2 \psi _2 + a_3 \psi _3 \nonumber \\ \hat H &\psi _i = E_i \psi _i \nonumber \\ \langle \psi _i &| \psi _j \rangle = \delta _{ij} \nonumber \end{align}$$
I also normalized ##\Phi## as ##N=\left( \sum_{1}^3 a_{i}^2 \right)^{-1/2}## and solved ##\bar E = \langle \Phi | \hat H | \Phi \rangle = N^2 \sum_i \left( a_i^2 E_i \right) ## in previous exercises.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes
2. Consider an operator ##\hat{A}## with an eigenvector-eigenvalue pair ##v, A##. Then ##\hat{A}^{2}v = \hat{A}(\hat{A}\psi) = \hat{A}(Av) = A(\hat{A}v) = A^{2}v##

Likes blaisem
Perfect! I should be good from here on out. Thanks for the help getting started.

Likes GwtBc

Related to Question on correctly interpreting a bra-ket equation

1. What is a bra-ket equation?

A bra-ket equation is a notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the inner product of two quantum states. It consists of a "bra" vector <𝜓| and a "ket" vector |𝜓>, with the inner product represented by <𝜓|𝜓>.

2. How is a bra-ket equation read?

The bra-ket equation is read from left to right, with the bra vector representing the complex conjugate of the ket vector. The inner product is then calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and summing the results.

3. What does the notation <𝜓|𝜓> mean?

The notation <𝜓|𝜓> represents the inner product of two quantum states, also known as the amplitude of the state. It is a complex number that represents the probability amplitude of measuring the state |𝜓> when the system is in the state <𝜓|.

4. How do you interpret a bra-ket equation?

The bra-ket equation can be interpreted as a mathematical representation of a physical measurement or observation in quantum mechanics. The bra vector represents the initial state of the system, while the ket vector represents the final state after the measurement or observation has been made.

5. Can a bra-ket equation be used for any quantum state?

Yes, a bra-ket equation can be used for any quantum state, as long as the states are normalized (i.e. their inner product is equal to 1). It is a versatile notation that is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent a wide range of physical phenomena.