Question on Cosmological Constant paper

In summary, the author argues that in the limit of t approaching infinity, all terms in equation (193) except the first one will go to zero. This is because when t is rewritten as (1-iϵ)s, the first term will dominate as the other terms go to zero faster.
zaybu
In the paper, http://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.3365v1.pdf, page 21, the author argues that if:
t →∞(1-iϵ), all the terms in equation (193) goes to zero, except the first term.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Well, it's pretty simple I think. Suppose you have a sum
[tex] S = \sum_n \exp(-i E_n t). [/tex] Let [itex] t = (1-i \epsilon) s [/itex] where s is real. Then [tex] S = \sum_n \exp(-i E_n s) \exp(-E_n s).[/tex] Now you want to evaluate this sum when [itex] s \rightarrow \infty [/itex]. In that limit, the first term oscillates rapidly and the second term of the sum goes to zero.

The dominating component of the sum is the one that goes to zero the slowest. If we order the E:s so that [itex] E_0 < E_1 < E_2 < ... [/itex], then the leading order behaviour is given by the [itex]E_0[/itex]-term as the rest go to zero even faster than that one.

Thanks

Related to Question on Cosmological Constant paper

1. What is the purpose of the cosmological constant paper?

The cosmological constant paper aims to explain the presence of a constant term in Einstein's field equations, which is used to describe the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravity on a large scale.

2. Who wrote the cosmological constant paper?

The cosmological constant paper was written by Albert Einstein in 1917.

3. How did Einstein's views on the cosmological constant change over time?

Initially, Einstein introduced the cosmological constant as a way to maintain a static universe. However, after the discovery of the expansion of the universe, he abandoned the concept and referred to it as his "greatest blunder". Later on, he accepted the possibility of a non-zero cosmological constant as a way to explain the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion.

4. What is the current understanding of the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is now considered to be a fundamental constant of the universe, representing the energy density of the vacuum. It is believed to play a role in the accelerating expansion of the universe and is an essential component of the Lambda-CDM model, the most widely accepted model of the universe's evolution.

5. How has the cosmological constant paper influenced modern cosmology?

The cosmological constant paper has had a significant impact on modern cosmology, as it introduced the concept of a dynamic universe and the idea of a non-zero cosmological constant. It also paved the way for future research and developments in the field of cosmology, leading to the discovery of the expanding universe and the current understanding of the nature of dark energy.