Question on Momentum/Energy transferred in photon Elastic scattering

In summary, the recoil energy can be found by calculating the energy of the scattered photon, as the atom does not gain any energy during elastic scattering.
konsensei
Hi. I am new to the forum, If I am missing something, please kindly remind me.

Homework Statement

Given/Known:
- A photon with Energy Eγ, momentum pγ hit an atom with mass M.
- The photon is perfectly elastic scattered at angle [itex]\theta[/itex]

Problem: Find recoil energy

Homework Equations

Relevant Knowledge:
- Due to elastic scattering, the photon's energy remain the same (almost), only direction is changed. To my understanding, the electron in the atom absorbs the initial photon's energy. However, the energy is not enough to excite or knock out the electron, the electron then emits a photon with similar wavelength (same energy), but in random direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

- Using q2 = k2 + k'2 - 2kk' cos [itex]\theta[/itex]
I could find the recoil momentum (momentum transfer). But then I don't know how to find energy

Physics news on Phys.org
transfer. - I know that the energy of the recoil is the difference between the initial energy of the atom (0) and the final energy of the atom. But I don't know how to find the final energy of the atom.Any help would be great!The recoil energy is equal to the energy of the scattered photon. The atom does not gain any energy. It simply absorbs the energy of the incident photon and re-emits a photon with the same energy and in a random direction. The momentum of the atom before and after the scattering will be different due to the momentum of the incident and scattered photons, and this can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equations.

Related to Question on Momentum/Energy transferred in photon Elastic scattering

1. What is momentum transfer in photon elastic scattering?

Momentum transfer in photon elastic scattering refers to the exchange of momentum between a photon and a target particle during a collision. This transfer of momentum can result in a change in the direction and energy of the photon.

2. How is momentum transfer calculated in photon elastic scattering?

The amount of momentum transferred in photon elastic scattering can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which takes into account the initial and final momenta of the photon and target particle.

3. What is energy transferred in photon elastic scattering?

Energy transferred in photon elastic scattering refers to the change in energy of the photon as a result of its interaction with a target particle. This change in energy can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation.

4. How does energy transferred in photon elastic scattering affect the target particle?

The energy transferred in photon elastic scattering can result in a change in the kinetic energy and direction of the target particle. This change can have various effects depending on the type of target particle and the energy of the photon.

5. Can the energy transferred in photon elastic scattering be controlled?

Yes, the energy transferred in photon elastic scattering can be controlled by adjusting the energy and direction of the incident photon, as well as the properties of the target particle. This is important in various applications, such as in medical imaging and particle accelerators.