Question on peskin and schroeder

In summary, the Fourier expansion of the klein-gordon field operator is derived on page 20 and 21, resulting in equation (2.27). Some small details of the calculation may be confusing, particularly the step where Φ(p) is expanded as (constant factor)(a+a* ) and then plugged back into the Fourier expression in (2.21). However, this is not the case. Instead, P&S perform a change of integration variable in (2.25) to make the expression hermitian, resulting in Φ(p)=(constant factor)(a(p)+a*(-p) ). This is formally justified and can be denoted using \dagger as a replacement for *.
HomogenousCow
If you go to page 20 and 21 where the Fourier expansion of the klein-gordon field operator is derived, you'll see equation (2.27).
Now there are some small details of this whole calculation that I'm confused about.
I followed all the way through to (2.25), but here I feel a bit weird.
Isn't he trying to expand Φ(p)=(constant factor)(a+a* ) and plugging this back into the Fourier expression above (2.21)? However (2.27) directly contradicts this, instead he is taking Φ(p)=(constant factor)(a(p)+a*(-p) )
I understand that this is required to make the operator hermitian, but how is this formally justified step-by-step?
(Here I use * as a poor man's dagger)

Physics news on Phys.org
HomogenousCow said:
If you go to page 20 and 21 where the Fourier expansion of the klein-gordon field operator is derived, you'll see equation (2.27).
Now there are some small details of this whole calculation that I'm confused about.
I followed all the way through to (2.25), but here I feel a bit weird.
This step seems to confuse a lot of people (including me the first time I saw it). But it's actually really simple...

Isn't he trying to expand Φ(p)=(constant factor)(a+a* ) and plugging this back into the Fourier expression above (2.21)?
No.

However (2.27) directly contradicts this, instead he is taking Φ(p)=(constant factor)(a(p)+a*(-p) )
I understand that this is required to make the operator hermitian, but how is this formally justified step-by-step?
The expression in (2.25) is already hermitian. P&S simply perform a change of integration variable for the second term, i.e., ##p \to -p##.

That's all it is.

(Here I use * as a poor man's dagger)
Try \dagger, e.g., ##a^\dagger##. :D

Related to Question on peskin and schroeder

What is "Peskin and Schroeder"?

"Peskin and Schroeder" refers to the textbook "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" written by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder. It is a comprehensive and widely-used reference for understanding the fundamental principles and applications of quantum field theory in physics.

Who are Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder?

Michael Peskin is a theoretical physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to quantum field theory and high energy physics. Daniel Schroeder is also a theoretical physicist and professor at Weber State University. He is known for his work in statistical mechanics and the physics of phase transitions.

What topics are covered in "Peskin and Schroeder"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in quantum field theory, including scalar and spinor fields, gauge theories, renormalization, and applications to particle physics and condensed matter physics. It also includes exercises and problems for students to practice and deepen their understanding of the material.

Is "Peskin and Schroeder" suitable for beginners in quantum field theory?

While "Peskin and Schroeder" is a comprehensive textbook, it is not recommended for complete beginners in quantum field theory. It assumes a basic understanding of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. It is better suited for students who have already taken a course in quantum mechanics and are familiar with the mathematical tools used in physics.

Are there any online resources available for "Peskin and Schroeder"?

Yes, there are several online resources available for "Peskin and Schroeder", including lecture notes and problem solutions from various universities. However, it is important to note that these resources should be used as supplements to the textbook and not as a replacement for it.