Question that I answering [projectile motion]

In summary, you need to take components of the initial velocity and use kinetmatic equations to solve for \theta.
bee24
Okay, can someone help me figure out this problem. I've tried a lot of things but then i just get lost in all my sine and cosine mess that ends up confusing me.

[values changed for simplicity reasons]

-The pitcher is going to throw a ball from 4 meters above the ground and there is a distance of 20 m to the batter. A pitcher stands on the mound and throws the ball at an angle of @[theta] with respect to the horizon with the initial speed of 40 m/s. At what angle should the ball be thrown so that the ball will land 2 meters above the ground when it reaches the batter?

so the data is as follows:

initial starting point of ball: 4 meters above ground (y) and 20 meters from the batter (x)
final point of the ball: 2 meters above the ground (y)and 20 meters from the original point (x)
initial speed is 40 m/s at the unknown angle of @[theta]

so basically, i guess what I'm asking here is how to split the initial velocity into x and y components.

thank you if you can help me,
and thanks for trying if u can't. O.O

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that you need to take components of the initial velocity then use kinetmatic equations to solve two simultaneous equations to find [itex]\theta[/itex]. Have you taken components before? Seen any worked examples in class? It does involve a small amount of trig.

I have, but not a lot of experience outside of mechanical solving using kinematic solving that actually requires generalizations. Any help is appreciated.

Okay, so you know the intial speed is 40 m.s-1. This speed is has a direction of [itex]\theta[/itex] degrees above the horizontal. Now, can you use trigonometry to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity?

Last edited:
Okay thanks Hootenanny but I figured it out. Greatly appreciate it though.

Related to Question that I answering [projectile motion]

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, caused by an initial force acting on the object, such as throwing or launching. This motion follows a curved path due to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the distance, height, and time of flight of a projectile.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the forces acting on the object. These equations can be solved using algebra or by using a projectile motion calculator.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched horizontally, meaning its initial velocity has no vertical component. Vertical projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched at an angle, so it has both horizontal and vertical components to its initial velocity.

How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life applications such as sports, engineering, and physics. For example, in sports like baseball and basketball, players use projectile motion to determine the trajectory of the ball and aim for a successful shot. In engineering, projectile motion is used in the design of rockets and other projectiles. In physics, projectile motion is used to understand the laws of motion and gravity.