Questions about Jordan Normal Form

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Normal
In summary: This was a method that I picked up when going through my lecture notes. :) Anyway I shall try to proceed the way you suggest in post #2.Suppose you have a 3x3 matrix with the single eigenvalue 3 and 1 Jordan block.Then the nullity of $(T-3I)$ is 1. That is, there is 1 eigenvector.When you take a look at $(T-3I)^2v = 0$, there are 2 solutions: the original eigenvector is still a solution, and we get another generalized eigenvector from the root space.In other words the nullity of $(T-3I)^2$ is 2.Finally $(
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question I found on a Wiki book.

Question: The matrix \(T\) is \(5\times 5\) with the single eigenvalue 3. The nullities of the powers are: \((T-3I)\) has nullity two, \((T-3I)^2\) has nullity three, \((T-3I)^3\) has nullity four, and \((T-3I)^4\) has nullity five. Find the Jordan Normal form from the given date.

So I can understand that since the nullity of \((T-3I)\) is two there are two Jordan blocks. However I still don't get how exactly we can calculate the sizes of those Jordan blocks from the above data. Can anybody guide me through this process please? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:

Question: The matrix \(T\) is \(5\times 5\) with the single eigenvalue 3. The nullities of the powers are: \((T-3I)\) has nullity two, \((T-3I)^2\) has nullity three, \((T-3I)^3\) has nullity four, and \((T-3I)^4\) has nullity five. Find the Jordan Normal form from the given date.

So I can understand that since the nullity of \((T-3I)\) is two there are two Jordan blocks. However I still don't get how exactly we can calculate the sizes of those Jordan blocks from the above data. Can anybody guide me through this process please? :)

Suppose you have a 3x3 matrix with the single eigenvalue 3 and 1 Jordan block.
Then the nullity of $(T-3I)$ is 1. That is, there is 1 eigenvector.
When you take a look at $(T-3I)^2v = 0$, there are 2 solutions: the original eigenvector is still a solution, and we get another generalized eigenvector from the root space.
In other words the nullity of $(T-3I)^2$ is 2.
Finally $(T-3I)^3 = 0$ gives access to the entire root space. It has nullity 3.Back to your 5x5 matrix with 2 eigenvectors for the eigenvalue 3.
What are the possible configurations of the Jordan blocks?
Suppose there are 2 Jordan blocks: one of size 2 and another one of size 3.
How many generalized eigenvectors are added if you look at $(T-3I)^2$?

I like Serena said:
When you take a look at $(T-3I)^2v = 0$, there are 2 solutions: the original eigenvector is still a solution, and we get another generalized eigenvector from the root space.
Finally $(T-3I)^3 = 0$ gives access to the entire root space. It has nullity 3.Back to your 5x5 matrix with 2 eigenvectors for the eigenvalue 3.

Sorry for not replying earlier. Since the nullity of \((T-3I)\) is two we should have two Jordan blocks. There are two possible configurations;

1) One Jordan block of size 1 and the other of size 4.

2) One Jordan block with size 2 and the other of size 3.

Am I correct up to this point? :)

Sudharaka said:
Sorry for not replying earlier. Since the nullity of \((T-3I)\) is two we should have two Jordan blocks. There are two possible configurations;

1) One Jordan block of size 1 and the other of size 4.

2) One Jordan block with size 2 and the other of size 3.

Am I correct up to this point?

Yep!

I like Serena said:
Yep!

Okay so the next step is to size of the Jordan blocks. So we have to use the formula,

\[N_{k}(\lambda)=r_{k+1}(\lambda)-2r_{k}(\lambda)+r_{k-1}(\lambda)\]

where \(N_{k}(\lambda)\) is the number of Jordan blocks of size \(k\). \(r_{k}(\lambda)\) is the rank of the matrix \((T-\lambda I)^k\).

Am I correct? Or is there a easier method? :)

Sudharaka said:
Okay so the next step is to size of the Jordan blocks. So we have to use the formula,

\[N_{k}(\lambda)=r_{k+1}(\lambda)-2r_{k}(\lambda)+r_{k-1}(\lambda)\]

where \(N_{k}(\lambda)\) is the number of Jordan blocks of size \(k\). \(r_{k}(\lambda)\) is the rank of the matrix \((T-\lambda I)^k\).

Am I correct? Or is there a easier method? :)

Sounds difficult and I do not recognize it.
Alternatively, you could take another look at my post #2...

I like Serena said:
Sounds difficult and I do not recognize it.
Alternatively, you could take another look at my post #2...

This was a method that I picked up when going through my lecture notes. :) Anyway I shall try to proceed the way you suggest in post #2.

I like Serena said:
Finally $(T-3I)^3 = 0$ gives access to the entire root space. It has nullity 3.

Back to your 5x5 matrix with 2 eigenvectors for the eigenvalue 3.

I have given the possible Jordan block configurations in my post #3. Now when I look at \((T-3I)^2\) I see that one generalized vector is added. Hope I am correct. :)

Now what's the next step? :)

Sudharaka said:

Question: The matrix \(T\) is \(5\times 5\) with the single eigenvalue 3. The nullities of the powers are: \((T-3I)\) has nullity two, \((T-3I)^2\) has nullity three, \((T-3I)^3\) has nullity four, and \((T-3I)^4\) has nullity five. Find the Jordan Normal form from the given data.

I think I understood this now. I am going to write down the complete answer again. It would be really nice if somebody could confirm what I did was correct.

Let \(c_{k}\) be the number of Jordan blocks of size greater than or equal to \(k\). And \(c_{k}\) is given by,

\[c_{k}=\mbox{dim Ker}(T-3I)^k-\mbox{dim Ker}(T-3I)^{k-1}\]

So we know that,

Number of Jordan blocks of size greater than or equal to 2 = 1

Number of Jordan blocks of size greater than or equal to 3 = 1

Number of Jordan blocks of size greater than or equal to 4 = 1

Since \(\mbox{dim Ker}(T-3I)=2\) we know that there are two possible configurations for the Jordan normal form. The two Jordan blocks could be size 1 and 4 or they could be of sizes 2 and 3.

Hence the Jordan blocks should be,

\[J_{1}(3)=(3)\mbox{ and }J_{4}(3)=\begin{pmatrix}3&1&0&0\\0&3&1&0\\0&0&3&1\\0&0&0&3\end{pmatrix}\]

Therefore the Jordan normal form of the matrix \(T\) should be,

\[\begin{pmatrix}3&0&0&0&0\\0&3&1&0&0\\0&0&3&1&0\\0&0&0&3&1\\0&0&0&0&3\end{pmatrix}\]

Looks good!

I like Serena said:
Looks good!

Thanks very much for all the help you provided. Now I understand the computational method of Jordan Normal form perfectly. What is left to do is to perhaps understand the theoretical parts which are there in my lecture notes, especially the formula given above. :)

Related to Questions about Jordan Normal Form

What is Jordan Normal Form and when is it used?

Jordan Normal Form is a way of representing a square matrix that is similar to a diagonal matrix. It is commonly used in linear algebra to simplify calculations involving matrices.

How is Jordan Normal Form calculated?

The Jordan Normal Form of a matrix is calculated by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using these to construct a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal and the corresponding eigenvectors as columns. This diagonal matrix is the Jordan Normal Form.

What is the significance of the Jordan Normal Form?

The Jordan Normal Form is significant because it allows us to understand the structure of a matrix and its behavior under multiplication. It also simplifies calculations involving matrices and can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

Can any matrix be transformed into Jordan Normal Form?

Not all matrices can be transformed into Jordan Normal Form. A matrix must have a complete set of linearly independent eigenvectors in order for it to be transformed into Jordan Normal Form.

What are the limitations of Jordan Normal Form?

One limitation of Jordan Normal Form is that it only applies to square matrices. It also cannot be used for non-diagonalizable matrices, as they do not have a complete set of linearly independent eigenvectors. Additionally, Jordan Normal Form does not provide a unique solution, as the choice of basis vectors can vary.