Radioisotope Decay Simulation in MCNP6

frhnsaif
TL;DR Summary
Decay of Radionuclide in MCNP6
Hi all
I am a new user of MCNP.I want to simulate radioactive decay of Bi-213 (whole decay chain till stable element) in two concentric spheres of water (let say 5um and 10 um).I want to calculate energy deposited in big sphere(10um) if source is distributed in inner sphere(5 um) .What physics models i need to include in input file. I am specially confused about defining a SDEF.In don't know how to define Source which is emitting alphas and betas at a time with different probabilities.

Thanks
Farhan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums Farhan,

I have a few suggestions, other people may have better advice. You don't need to simulate the electrons and the alphas at the 'same time'. You can do two separate runs, which would get you energy deposited per alpha, and energy deposited per electron then you can multiply by the activity and the electron/alpha probability and sum the result. There are fewer places for mistakes to hide when done this way.

If you need a mixed simulation you can make the PAR variable a distribution. This isn't difficult and would just use probability bins but how energy is locked to a particle I would need to look up.

If you can share your input file, there may be people with a lot more experience than can comment. If so you can rename it to add .txt and the forum will then let you attach it to a post.

Likes frhnsaif
Thanks for your guidance. Please check appended input and guide
Thanks

Attachments

• sphere.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 4
Likes Alex A
That looks fine to me.

The problem is absorbed dose calculated is much lower as compared to the GEANT4.In GEANT4 it is in order of 10-2 .but in case of MCNP it is much lower(10-15) order.

What are the units for the GEANT result? With X the result is MeV per gram per source alpha particle and I get values in the 10^8 range. Are you getting a different value?

Sanity check, 10um of water would probably stop alphas, and this and this is 3 orders smaller than 1cm, so 9 orders higher stopping power per gram. This sounds about right.

Related to Radioisotope Decay Simulation in MCNP6

1. What is MCNP6 and how is it used in simulating radioisotope decay?

MCNP6 (Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code Version 6) is a comprehensive nuclear particle transport simulation software developed by Los Alamos National Laboratory. It is used to simulate the interaction of neutrons, photons, electrons, and other particles with matter, including the decay processes of radioisotopes. In radioisotope decay simulations, MCNP6 can model the emission of particles and radiation from unstable isotopes as they decay, helping in the design and analysis of nuclear systems, medical applications, and safety assessments.

2. How accurate is MCNP6 in simulating radioisotope decay?

MCNP6 is highly accurate for simulating radioisotope decay, as it incorporates detailed physics models and up-to-date nuclear data libraries that include decay spectra and half-lives of various isotopes. The accuracy of simulations generally depends on the quality of the physical models and the nuclear data used. MCNP6 allows users to specify detailed geometries and material compositions, which enhances the realism and precision of the decay simulations.

3. Can MCNP6 simulate the decay of any radioisotope?

MCNP6 can simulate the decay of virtually any radioisotope, provided that the necessary nuclear data is available. It includes extensive libraries that cover a wide range of isotopes. For isotopes not included in the standard libraries, users can input custom decay data if it is available, allowing for flexible and comprehensive modeling capabilities.

4. What are the typical outputs of a radioisotope decay simulation in MCNP6?

The typical outputs of a radioisotope decay simulation in MCNP6 include the spectrum of emitted particles (such as alpha particles, beta particles, neutrons, and photons), the energy distribution of these particles, dose calculations, and the change in activity over time. These outputs help researchers and engineers understand the behavior of radioactive materials under various conditions, assess shielding requirements, and perform safety analyses.

5. How do I set up a radioisotope decay simulation in MCNP6?

To set up a radioisotope decay simulation in MCNP6, you need to define the geometry of the system, specify the materials and their compositions, and identify the radioisotopes of interest. You will also need to configure the simulation parameters, such as the type of particles to track and the time frame for the simulation. Detailed input instructions are provided in the MCNP6 user manual, which includes examples and guidelines for setting up various types of simulations, including those involving radioisotope decay.