Raising indices in curved space

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of index raising on tensors that are being differentiated in curved space. It is stated that this is only possible if the metric tensor is independent of x_{\nu}. The conversation also mentions the attempts to obtain Maxwell's Equations from the Lagrangian and the confusion caused by varying with respect to \delta A_\lambda. It is suggested to try using covariant derivatives, which may cancel out the extra terms introduced. The conversation ends with a mention of a paper by Andrew E. Blechman on "Maxwell's Equations in a Gravitational Field".
bdforbes
In curved space, can I raise an index on a tensor that is being differentiated? Ie, is the following true?

[tex]g^{\mu\lambda}\partial^\nu(F_{\mu\nu})=\partial^\nu(F^\lambda_\nu)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Only if the metric tensor is independent of [itex]x_{\nu}[/itex].

This is troubling. I'm trying to obtain Maxwell's Equations from the Lagrangian, and since we have indices both up and down ie [itex]F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}[/itex], varying with respect to [itex]\delta A_\lambda[/itex] inevitably introduces metrics:

[tex] \delta F^{\mu\nu}=\partial^\mu g^{\nu\lambda}\delta A_\lambda - \partial^\nu g^{\mu\lambda}\delta A_\lambda[/tex]

Integrating a term:

[tex] \int d^4x\sqrt{-g}(\delta F^{\mu\nu} \delta F_{\mu\nu}) [/tex]
[tex] = \int d^4x\sqrt{-g}\left[\partial^\mu(g^{\nu\lambda}\delta A_\lambda)F_{\mu\nu} - \partial^\nu(g^{\mu\lambda}\delta A_\lambda)F_{\mu\nu}\right] [/tex]
[tex] = \int d^4x\sqrt{-g}(g^{\mu\lambda} \partial^\nu F_{\mu\nu} - g^{\nu\lambda} \partial^\mu F_{\mu\nu})\delta A_\lambda[/tex]

And now I have these terms which are confusing me.

What happens if you vary

[tex]g_{\mu b}g_{\nu a}F^{ab}F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

instead ?

Last edited:
I will try that, but I suspect it is equivalent.
If I had used covariant derivatives the whole time, there would be no problem. But here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations_in_curved_spacetime#Summary
it states that the extra terms introduced by using covariant derivatives would cancel out. So maybe my original method is fine.
Of course, I was stupid to overlook look this fact:
[tex]\delta F^{\mu\nu} F_{\mu\nu}=\delta F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

This may interest you.

"Maxwell’s Equations In a Gravitational Field" by Andrew E. Blechman

Attachments

• Maxwell in curved space-time.doc
    96.5 KB · Views: 282

Related to Raising indices in curved space

1. What does it mean to raise an index in curved space?

Raising an index in curved space refers to the process of transforming a tensor with one or more contravariant indices into its corresponding tensor with covariant indices. This is necessary because in curved space, the metric tensor is not constant and thus the position of indices in a tensor must be adjusted to properly account for the curvature of space.

2. How is raising an index different in curved space compared to flat space?

In flat space, raising an index is a simple process of multiplying by the inverse metric tensor. However, in curved space, the inverse metric tensor is not always well-defined and thus a more complex mathematical approach must be used. This may involve using the Christoffel symbols or performing a covariant derivative.

3. Why is it important to consider raising indices in curved space?

In order to accurately describe physical phenomena in curved space, it is necessary to use tensors with covariant indices. This is because the laws of physics, such as the Einstein field equations, are written in terms of covariant tensors. Raising indices allows us to properly account for the effects of curvature in our calculations and equations.

4. Are there any limitations to raising indices in curved space?

While raising indices is a fundamental process in tensor calculus, it is not always possible to do so in curved space. This is because some tensors cannot be transformed into their covariant form due to the non-commutative nature of covariant derivatives. Additionally, in some cases, the inverse metric tensor may not exist, making it impossible to raise indices.

5. Can raising indices in curved space be applied to all types of tensors?

Raising indices can be applied to any type of tensor, including scalars, vectors, and higher-order tensors, in curved space. The process may be more complex for higher-order tensors, but the same principles apply. However, it is important to note that not all tensors can have their indices raised in curved space, as mentioned in the previous question.