Rank 3x4 Complex Matrix Constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 3x4 complex matrix M to relate two vectors, d and c. The speaker wants to introduce a new constraint into M, but is unsure if it is possible to only apply it to either the real or imaginary parts of the vectors. They also mention the possibility of writing the system over the reals for better control, but note that time is a concern. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use specific algorithms or approximations for fast numerical solutions.
swraman
I am dealing with a 3x4 complex matrix M that relates a vector d to another vetor c. That is:

c = [M]*d

d
is 4x1 and c is 3x1. I want to introduce a new line (constraint) into M, say d(1) = d(2). However, I would like to only apply the constraint to the real or only the imaginary parts. Is this possible?

Let me rephrase to give some perspective. M is a complex matrix that represents the frequency response of a system at a given frequency, thus M is complex as each element has magnitude and phase. Since my system has 3 outputs and 4 inputs, I want to introduce a constraint to make my matrix square (and ensure there is only one solution). I know I can set d(1) = d(2) or any relationship like that, but that locks both amplitude and phase of d(1) and d(2) together. Is there any way to set only the amplitudes together, or only the phases together?

Ideally, I'd like to set their amplitudes to a ratio of 1/10 and don't care what their phases to do whatever. This is where I get a bit murky...Is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could write the entire system over the reals. This doubles your dimensions but you get a better control of individual amplitudes and phases separately. At the end you then recombine the solutions to complex numbers again.

Likes swraman
Ah...Thats what I am looking for. Thanks. Only problem is this is to be used in a control loop, so time is of a concern.

Once you know how things could be simplified by your additional constraints (and watch out the ##i^2## terms!), you could go back to the then modified complex version and pretend it always has been.

Edit: For fast numerical solutions there are certainly specific algorithms which I don't know. Perhaps via writing the complex numbers as ##re^{i \varphi}## and using Taylor series for approximations. Even matrix multiplication as ##(2 \times 2) \cdot (2 \times 2)## could be reduced from ##8## to ##7## basic multiplications at the cost of additional additions.

Related to Rank 3x4 Complex Matrix Constraints

1. What is a rank 3x4 complex matrix constraint?

A rank 3x4 complex matrix constraint is a mathematical condition that restricts the possible values of a 3x4 matrix with complex entries. This constraint is often used in linear algebra and optimization problems.

2. How is the rank of a 3x4 complex matrix determined?

The rank of a 3x4 complex matrix is determined by the number of linearly independent rows or columns it contains. This can be found by performing row and column operations on the matrix and counting the number of non-zero rows or columns.

3. What is the significance of a rank 3x4 complex matrix constraint?

A rank 3x4 complex matrix constraint can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of a matrix. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and find the optimal solution to optimization problems.

4. Can a rank 3x4 complex matrix constraint be relaxed?

Yes, a rank 3x4 complex matrix constraint can be relaxed by allowing the matrix to have more linearly independent rows or columns. This can result in a wider range of possible solutions for the matrix.

5. What are some real-world applications of rank 3x4 complex matrix constraints?

Rank 3x4 complex matrix constraints are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model complex systems, optimize processes, and analyze data. Specific examples include image and signal processing, portfolio optimization, and quantum mechanics.