Ranking velocities from least to greatest

In summary, the conversation discusses the ranking of three velocities (-10 m/s, 3 m/s, and 1 m/s) from least to greatest. The speaker originally thought the order was 1 m/s, 3 m/s, and -10 m/s, but was told that because -10 was negative, it would be considered the smallest. The summary also raises the question of how to rank velocities with different magnitudes and directions.
Christie
If I have three velocities and am asked to rank them from least to greatest and they are

-10 m/s, 3 m/s and 1 m/s

I thought it would be 1 m/s, 3 m/s, and -10 m/s.

However, someone told me that because -10 was negative, it would technically be the smallest. I found this strange. Who is right?? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have two numbers, the more negative number is generally considered the smaller of the two. This certainly holds true for all positive numbers. Note that the magnitude of the -10 velocity is the largest of the three.

Christie said:
If I have three velocities and am asked to rank them from least to greatest...

What is the specific question that was asked? Least to greatest speed?

Christie said:
-10 m/s, 3 m/s and 1 m/s
What are the magnitudes and directions of these three "vectors"?

How do you rank velocities, unless they are all in the same direction?

Related to Ranking velocities from least to greatest

What is the purpose of ranking velocities from least to greatest?

The purpose of ranking velocities from least to greatest is to determine the order in which objects or particles are moving in terms of their speed. This can help scientists make comparisons and observations about the motion of different objects.

How is ranking velocities from least to greatest calculated?

Ranking velocities from least to greatest is calculated by measuring the speed of each object or particle and arranging them in ascending order, from the slowest to the fastest. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by using tools such as motion sensors.

What units are used to measure velocities?

Velocities are typically measured in units of distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or feet per second (ft/s). In some cases, velocities may also be measured in terms of revolutions per minute (RPM) or cycles per second (Hz).

Why is it important to rank velocities from least to greatest?

Ranking velocities from least to greatest is important because it allows scientists to analyze and understand the movement of objects or particles in a systematic way. It also helps in identifying patterns and trends in the data, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of these objects or particles.

What are some applications of ranking velocities from least to greatest?

Ranking velocities from least to greatest has many practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. For example, it can be used to analyze the performance of athletes, determine the most efficient way to move objects, or study the behavior of particles in chemical reactions.