Ratio control for multiple streams

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of controlling the flow rate of two dependent streams using the flow rate of a third stream in a certain ratio. It is suggested to have two control loops, with the third stream being a function of either the first or second stream. However, concerns are raised about the reliability of leaving one stream as an "open loop." It is decided that it would be safer to have two closed control loops, with a flow transmitter on the primary stream and a flow controller on each dependent stream. It is also mentioned that having two flow transmitters on the primary stream may cause conflicts. Ultimately, it is recommended to have one flow transmitter on the primary stream and use a ratio station to control the two dependent streams.
princessme
I have 3 streams entering my vessel and 2 of the streams are dependent on the 3rd stream's flow rate in a certain ratio. Is there a way to control the flow rate of the 2 dependent streams using the flow rate of the 3rd stream and show it in my P&ID?

Engineering news on Phys.org
princessme said:
I have 3 streams entering my vessel and 2 of the streams are dependent on the 3rd stream's flow rate in a certain ratio. Is there a way to control the flow rate of the 2 dependent streams using the flow rate of the 3rd stream and show it in my P&ID?
Yes. "... and show it in my PID?" Not clear what you're asking here.

Bystander said:
Yes. "... and show it in my PID?" Not clear what you're asking here.
What I meant was how should the configuration of the control loop be in my P&ID? I'm aware of how to show the control loop for 2 streams, but I'm having issues for 3 related streams to be controlled. Any references that I could refer to for this?

You've a couple possibilities: the third stream flow rate can be described as a function of the flow rate of either of the other two; pick one.

Bystander said:
You've a couple possibilities: the third stream flow rate can be described as a function of the flow rate of either of the other two; pick one.
For instance, both the first and third stream are dependent on the flow rate of the first, both in different ratios. Does it mean that I need to have 2 control loops - one for streams 1 and 2, and another for streams 2 and 3?

princessme said:
2 control loops
Yup. Third stream as fnn of first, or of second; of second is easier since it's a fixed ratio.

Bystander said:
Yup. Third stream as fnn of first, or of second; of second is easier since it's a fixed ratio.
Noted. Thanks for the help.

Can one flow transmitter be connected to two flow controllers?

What I'm thinking is that i have a flow transmitter on second stream, then one flow controller each on first and third stream connected to the FT on second stream. Does it work that way? Or do I need to have separate flow transmitters for each loop?

... and, when the third stream "runs away," how do you sense that upset condition?

Bystander said:
... and, when the third stream "runs away," how do you sense that upset condition?
My plan was to put a control valve on stream 1 and 3, which are connected to a ratio station each. Each ratio station is connected to the FT on stream 2. Does that make sense?

princessme said:
Does that make sense?
Makes sense if you can be certain that which ever stream you leave as an "open loop" doesn't get plugged up, run dry, or otherwise fail.

Bystander said:
Makes sense if you can be certain that which ever stream you leave as an "open loop" doesn't get plugged up, run dry, or otherwise fail.
So I should consider doing 2 closed control loops instead?

In that case, for each control loop, I will have a FT, followed by FC, which is connected to the ratio station and a control valve on the stream. Then another FT after the control valve to send the signal back to FC? Does it sound right?

FT on primary stream (set point) to "ratio" for two dependent streams, and FC plus FT sensing output for each dependent stream is the way I'd do it.

Bystander said:
FT on primary stream (set point) to "ratio" for two dependent streams, and FC plus FT sensing output for each dependent stream is the way I'd do it.
Alright, thanks for the suggestion.
Will I need two FT on my primary stream or would 1 be sufficient?

princessme said:
1 be sufficient?
One does the trick --- two can have a nasty tendency to start calling each other liars.

Related to Ratio control for multiple streams

What is ratio control for multiple streams?

Ratio control for multiple streams is a process control technique used in industries such as chemical, oil and gas, and food and beverage to maintain a fixed ratio between two or more process streams. It involves continuously adjusting the flow rate of one stream based on the flow rate of another stream to maintain a specific ratio.

What are the benefits of using ratio control for multiple streams?

Ratio control for multiple streams offers several benefits, including improved product quality, increased process efficiency, and reduced waste. By maintaining a consistent ratio between process streams, it ensures that the desired product specifications are met, and resources are utilized effectively.

How does ratio control for multiple streams work?

Ratio control for multiple streams typically involves the use of flow meters, control valves, and a controller. The flow rate of one stream is measured by a flow meter and compared to the desired ratio set by the controller. The controller then adjusts the flow rate of the other stream by opening or closing the control valve to maintain the desired ratio.

What are some common challenges with ratio control for multiple streams?

One common challenge with ratio control for multiple streams is maintaining a consistent ratio when there are changes in the process conditions, such as variations in flow rates or pressure. This can be addressed by using advanced control strategies, such as cascade control, and regularly calibrating the flow meters and control valves.

Are there any alternative methods to ratio control for multiple streams?

Yes, there are alternative methods to ratio control for multiple streams, such as cascade control, feedforward control, and model predictive control. These methods use more advanced control strategies and can offer better performance in terms of maintaining a consistent ratio between process streams.