Rational exponents (was: Math Discussion)

In summary: So, instead of taking the square root of -64, we can take the square root of 64 and multiply it by i, giving us 8i as the result. This is an imaginary number, not a real number. Thus, there is no "real" answer to this problem.
goolalklk

Homework Statement

(-64)^(3/2)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no answer that can be reached and it is supposed not be a real number. I was wondering why that is. How is it that there is no "real" answer to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
goolalklk said:

Homework Statement

(-64)^(3/2)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no answer that can be reached and it is supposed not be a real number. I was wondering why that is. How is it that there is no "real" answer to this problem?
##(-64)^{3/2} = [(-64)^{1/2}]^3##
Does that answer your question?

Alternatively: (−64)3/2 = √(-64)3

You're right in that there is no real solution. The square root of a negative number is an imaginary number, in which case you must use "i" to express √(-1).

i2 = -1 and √(-1) = i.

Last edited:
When it says "there is no real solution to the problem" it means there is no real number. Do you understand the difference between "real numbers" and "imaginary numbers"?

goolalklk said:

The negative sign makes it so that the stated number isn't real.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
The negative sign makes it so that the stated number isn't real.
Not exactly.

Real numbers can be positive or negative. However, taking the square root of a negative number does not give a real number result. Instead, imaginary numbers were invented to overcome this problem. The imaginary unit i is defined such that i2 = -1.

Related to Rational exponents (was: Math Discussion)

1. What are rational exponents?

Rational exponents are exponents that represent a fraction or a decimal. They are a way of expressing powers and roots at the same time. For example, 21/2 represents the square root of 2.

2. How do rational exponents differ from integer exponents?

Rational exponents differ from integer exponents in that they represent both powers and roots, while integer exponents only represent powers. Rational exponents can also be used to represent non-integer powers, whereas integer exponents can only represent whole number powers.

3. What are some properties of rational exponents?

Some properties of rational exponents include the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. The power rule states that (am)n = am*n. The product rule states that am * an = am+n. The quotient rule states that am / an = am-n.

4. How do you simplify expressions with rational exponents?

To simplify expressions with rational exponents, you can use the laws of exponents to combine like terms. You can also convert the rational exponents to radical form, simplify the radicals, and then convert back to rational exponents.

5. Can rational exponents be negative?

Yes, rational exponents can be negative. For example, (-8)1/3 represents the cube root of -8, which is -2. However, it is important to note that the base cannot be negative when using rational exponents, as it would result in complex numbers.