RC circuit differential equations

In summary, the task is to write a differential equation for a circuit. The attempt at a solution involves using a voltage source instead of a current source and calculating equivalent resistance using parallel calculations. The idea is to use Thevenin and Norton methods to find the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit. When the switch is closed, the current source and first resistor form a Norton equivalent, which can then be turned into a Thevenin equivalent. The initial conditions for the new circuit can be used. When the switch closes, there will be a closed loop and the capacitor will look like a short, so only the Thevenin resistance will be seen as the load. One difference between two circuits is the polarity of the current and voltage sources.
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

0ogitdsnch30040rzerr.png

Task is to write differential equation for this circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll try to solve the task, but now I want to know, is it possible to use voltage source instead of current source. For example, I can calculate ekvivalent resistance R_1, R_2 an R_3 parallel. Then current source * ekvivalent (total) resistance = voltage source?
Like this:
8e3b70c65r5vaq7fb947.png

Don't look at numbers, they are random.. I just want to know about idea.
If it's possible, then I can use V(Thevenin) and R(Thevenin).

OR:
I can calculate R(Thevenin) = (R2*R3)/(R2+R3), I guess.
But I don't know, how to calculate I(Thevenin). Or I have to use Northon method, when we've got capacitor?

Can you suggest something?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your original circuit the current source and first resistor form a Norton equivalent when the switch is closed. No reason why you couldn't turn that into a Thevenin equivalent.

Be sure to take into account the circuit properties affected by the switch if you need to determine the circuit operation if the switch is re-opened at some future time.

Do you mean like this:
svwxr4sksduu1c6ofb1a.png
?

And then again I need to change circuit to Thevenin equivalent as I did before with RL circuits?

Last edited:
Yes and yes, in your figure you can absorb R2 and R3 into the Thevenin model.

Then:
R(Thevenin) = ((R2*R3)/(R2+R3)) + R1
E(Thevenin) = E = I*R1

(((R2*R3)/(R2+R3)) + R1)*C*dUc/dt + Uc = E

Is it correct?

Yup. Looks good.

Easier than I thought. But which initial condition I have to use? From picture in my first post?
But there is Ic(0), but here I need Uc(0). Seems to me, that I don't understand, how to find intial condition.

You can use the initial conditions for your "new" circuit. If the capacitor begins with no charge then its initial potential is zero. It will "look like" a short at time t = 0, so you can find the initial current, too.

Ic(0) = 0 and Uc(0)= E ?
Anyway, I'll try to finish all calculations tomorrow. It's to late today in my country.

evol_w10lv said:
Ic(0) = 0 and Uc(0)= E ?
Anyway, I'll try to finish all calculations tomorrow. It's to late today in my country.

With the Thevenin circuit, when the switch closes there will be a closed loop. The capacitor will look like a short, so just the Thevenin resistance is seen as the load at time t = 0.

It means that there is no voltage through the capacitor, so Uc(0)=0.

evol_w10lv said:
It means that there is no voltage through the capacitor, so Uc(0)=0.

"Across". Voltage is "across" a component, current goes "through". But yes, that's the right idea.

gh6opbjjtb9zd988yy.png

And it is same as solution for this:
038c1138tl22lgdareup.png

One difference between the two is that the current will be flowing in opposite directions and the potential across the capacitor will have the opposite polarity. To make them identical, change the polarity of either the current or voltage source.

phvy3951mzd0o1wsshi.png

How to redraw circuit here, when current source and resistor are in series? I guess, here we can't use Norton because resistor and current source not parallel.

evol_w10lv said:
How to redraw circuit here, when current source and resistor are in series? I guess, here we can't use Norton because resistor and current source not parallel.

Big tip: A resistor in series with an ideal current source has no effect on the circuit! The current source will produce its specified current no matter what is in its path. It won't even contribute to Norton/Thevenin resistances for the circuit.

Likes 1 person
Tried to solve second one (from post #15) with two methods:
e5d7hily8tx7235icjr.png

uubughflwtf7we1iuvmm.png

And method 2:
3o2fplrt8cr6p9vdw.png

Then like before I used Norton/Thevenin equivalent:
r4rj1wxqr3c80qv6kpm6.png

E = R3 * J
s7yy7w5yvkqvheeslg0v.png

E(Thevenin) = E = R3*J
R(Thevenin) = R2 + R3

E = L*dIL + (R2+R3)*IL

Actually the first circuit (from post #15) is simular, but why there are switch without anything? Is there something tricky in the solution?

Last edited:
evol_w10lv said:
Actually the first circuit (from post #15) is simular, but why there are switch without anything? Is there something tricky in the solution?
The switch changes the circuit by eliminating R3 when it closes (it shorts it out). So there will be a different steady-state situation for each position of the switch.

Related to RC circuit differential equations

1. What is an RC circuit differential equation?

An RC circuit differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is used to model the flow of electric current and voltage in the circuit.

2. How is an RC circuit differential equation derived?

The RC circuit differential equation is derived from Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of currents at any junction in a circuit is equal to zero and the sum of voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero. By applying these laws to a circuit with a resistor and capacitor, the differential equation can be obtained.

3. What is the general form of an RC circuit differential equation?

The general form of an RC circuit differential equation is: Q' + (1/RC)Q = E(t)/R, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, R is the resistance, C is the capacitance, and E(t) is the voltage source function.

4. How is an RC circuit differential equation solved?

An RC circuit differential equation can be solved using various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or the Laplace transform. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions of the circuit.

5. What is the significance of solving an RC circuit differential equation?

Solving an RC circuit differential equation allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit over time. It helps us to determine the charge and voltage on the capacitor at any given time, and to analyze the response of the circuit to different input signals. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.