Recalibration of a 80g Scale with a 50g Weight

In summary, the weight is off on the Digital Scale E-S Series pocket scale by .08±0.01g. The instructions say to recalibrate the instrument by turning it on, waiting til it reads 0.00, putting a 200g weight on, waiting 3 seconds, and pressing UCAL. Switch off. However, the instrument can be calibrated with a 50g weight.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I bought a 80g x 0.01g scale from ebay and it came with a 50g weight. Now this weight is exactly 50g up to more than 1mg, I suppose? But when I put in on, it read 50.08g. So the scale is off it seems. There are instructions to recalibrate the scale but it seems like the instructions are talking as if I had a 200g scale. It says "To recalibrate, turn on the scale, wait til it read 0.00. Push UCAL. Put a 200g weight on. Wait 3 seconds. Press UCAL. Switch off."

In any case, I have a 80g scale and it came with a 50g weight. Can I still recalibrate the thing with the 50g weight or I'm going to screw it up even more? (I tried asking the compagny that made the scale but no response)

thx :cool:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What brand of scale do you have? What does the 50 g standard weight look like? Does it have a shiny silvery appearance or is it painted?

Hi chemisttree,

The weight is like this one: http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/images/items/AR45-@DFL-200g+weight.gif

But there is a little defect on it... there is "50 g" carved on the top like in the picture, but the "g" is incomplete, so it resembles more a "q" than a "g". This probably means there is extra weight in the weight thatshould be there. Could that little missing branch in the "g" account for the 0.08±0.01g error?

The scale brand is Digital Scale E-S Series (it's a pocket scale). Design-wise it is exactly like this one: http://digitalscales.ca/MX50Gemscale.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Until you calibrate the instrument at full scale, you won't get an accurate result. You weighed a 50 g weight and read 50.08 g. You should follow the calibration procedure for the 250 g instrument and substitute the 50 g mass. Tare the instrument with no mass on the pan and read the indicator with the 50 g mass on the pan. It should read 50.00 g unless the linearity is screwed up. Linearity is listed for the model you linked to at +/- 0.01 g. To confirm this you will need some more masses. See here for the method.

http://www.iescorp.com/linearity.htm

You might want to confirm that the instrument is on a level surface as well. There is probably no way to adjust the level on this small instrument. You might try small slips of paper if the level is off.

If I was you and this happened. I would try to send it back and explain the situation to the seller. Hopefully you could at least exchange it for another one. I doubt that the missing part of the g is responsible for that much of an error but I bet that it could give you at least .01g-.02g maybe .03g but I doubt it would give you much more of an incorrect reading. Is there a hardware store near you with weights?

Related to Recalibration of a 80g Scale with a 50g Weight

1. How do I recalibrate an 80g scale using a 50g weight?

To recalibrate an 80g scale using a 50g weight, first make sure the scale is clean and free of any debris. Then, place the 50g weight on the center of the scale and wait for the reading to stabilize. Next, adjust the calibration screw or knob on the scale until it reads exactly 50g. Your scale is now recalibrated and ready to use.

2. Why is it important to recalibrate a scale?

Recalibrating a scale ensures that it is providing accurate and precise measurements. Over time, scales can become inaccurate due to regular use, exposure to temperature changes, or damage. Recalibrating regularly can help maintain the accuracy of the scale and ensure reliable results.

3. Can I use a different weight to recalibrate my scale?

No, it is important to use the specific weight that is recommended for your scale. Using a weight that is too heavy or too light can result in an incorrect calibration, leading to inaccurate measurements.

4. How often should I recalibrate my scale?

The frequency of recalibration depends on the type of scale and how often it is used. In general, it is recommended to recalibrate a scale at least once a month or whenever you notice a significant difference in the measurements.

5. What should I do if my scale cannot be recalibrated?

If your scale cannot be recalibrated, it may be damaged or in need of professional repair. In this case, it is best to contact the manufacturer or a professional for assistance. Continuing to use an inaccurate scale can lead to incorrect measurements and potentially impact your experiments or work.