Reconnecting with Math and Physics: A Data Scientist's Journey

• Thread starter theshape89
  • Start date
In summary, the article details the experience of a data scientist who rediscovers their love for math and physics through their work. They explain how their studies in these subjects have helped them to better understand and analyze data, and how their newfound passion has opened up new opportunities for growth and learning in their career. The author also shares their advice for others who may have lost interest in these subjects, encouraging them to try approaching them from a different perspective in order to reignite their curiosity and enthusiasm.
theshape89
How did you find PF?
Used it ages ago while doing math and physics in undergrad
Hi everyone!

I'm a data scientist in the defence industry who works primarily on spatiotemporal forecasting. I have a bachelor's degree in math and physics, buuuuut I 'learned' things in the worst way possible - by pretty much rote memorising how to solve problems rather than developing any kind of understanding. It got me a degree, but years later I realize I don't actually know as much math or physics as I'd like to.

To redeem myself, I've enrolled into a master's degree where I'll be doing some math coursework followed by a thesis (currently interested in differential geometry, but the thesis is still 2 years away as I'm only studying part-time). I'm halfway through the first semester and am really enjoying taking the time to try and understand things. I look forward to sharing this journey with you all and hope that some of your knowledge and wisdom will rub off on me. :)

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF; it's good to have you here. :smile:

Likes theshape89