Redshift of Far Galaxies: What Causes It?

In summary: Therefore, the amount of redshift depends on the distance the light has traveled, not just how long ago it was emitted. This is why objects that are farther away have a greater redshift. In summary, the redshift of light from far away galaxies is caused by the expanding universe stretching the light. This is because the light has traveled a greater distance, not just because it was emitted longer ago. This concept is consistent with General Relativity and helps us understand the relationship between distance and time in an expanding universe.
JD88
Hi,

I have a question about the redshift caused by the expanding universe. I am not a physicist and reading books and articles about physics is just a hobby so I apology if this is obvious to most of you.

I have read somewhere that the light from far away galaxies is redder than light from nearer galaxies. Why is this?

I understand that the redshift is caused by the expanding universe stretching the light but wouldn't the amount of redshift only depend on how long ago the light was emitted? I would have thought that two event happening at the same time would have the same redshift because the universe has expanded by the same amount for both events.

Space news on Phys.org
You are correct, in general. Note that galaxies that are further away emitted their light longer ago. If we see things from the same time, then we see them at the same distance... apart from local motions over the general Hubble flow.

Some folks here don't like describing the cause of redshift as stretching from expanding space, and they have a point. But it works in the sense of giving you the right answers, and a lot of the simple explanations in cosmology can depend on how you choose to look at it. The underlying maths is the same.

Cheers -- sylas

The farther away something is, the older it appears. Looking, for example, 1 billion light years away is like looking 1 billion years in the past, because the light took 1 billion years to reach you.

So yes, if you were looking at two objects that emitted their light at the same time, then the redshift would be the same. The fact that they are different distances away means that we are looking at light emitted at different times.

Hope it helps :).

JD88 said:
I have read somewhere that the light from far away galaxies is redder than light from nearer galaxies. Why is this?
Nobody knows the answer to that. It is simply a relationship that Hubble noticed when measuring the distances to about 50 galaxies. However, it turns out to be consistent with a simple concept in General Relativity, namely expansion.

JD88 said:
I understand that the redshift is caused by the expanding universe stretching the light ...
That is indeed the mainstream interpretation.

JD88 said:
I would have thought that two event happening at the same time would have the same redshift because the universe has expanded by the same amount for both events.
What is wrong with that?

Superstring said:
The farther away something is, the older it appears. Looking, for example, 1 billion light years away is like looking 1 billion years in the past, because the light took 1 billion years to reach you.
Not exactly. If space is expanding, then the concept of distance itself is not this straightforward. For instance, something that is 1 billion lyrs away now will be even further away by the time light arrives from it (assuming an open universe). Inversely, light that has traveled 1 billion years from its source has traveled from a source that was actually closer than 1 billion lyrs when it was emitted, and is now actually much further away (assuming that expansion can be extrapolated 1 billion years into the past).

Related to Redshift of Far Galaxies: What Causes It?

1. What is redshift and how is it related to far galaxies?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from distant galaxies appears to be shifted towards longer wavelengths, making it appear more red. This is caused by the expansion of the universe, and the further a galaxy is from us, the greater the redshift.

2. How is the redshift of far galaxies measured?

The redshift of far galaxies is measured using a tool called a spectroscope, which breaks down the spectrum of light from a galaxy into different wavelengths. This allows us to determine the amount of redshift and therefore the distance of the galaxy.

3. What causes the redshift of far galaxies?

The redshift of far galaxies is caused by the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the wavelengths of light from distant objects are stretched, causing them to appear more red.

4. Is redshift the only way to measure the distance of far galaxies?

No, redshift is not the only way to measure the distance of far galaxies. Other methods include using standard candles, such as Type Ia supernovae, or using the cosmic distance ladder, which relies on measuring the distance of nearby objects and using them as reference points to measure the distance of far objects.

5. How does the redshift of far galaxies provide evidence for the Big Bang theory?

The redshift of far galaxies provides evidence for the Big Bang theory because it supports the idea that the universe is expanding. As the universe expands, the wavelengths of light from distant galaxies are stretched, causing them to appear more red. This is consistent with the predictions of the Big Bang theory.