Refer to aneutronic reactions as though they are fusion

In summary, aneutronic reactions involve the fusion of two nuclei to form a new nucleus, but produce different particles than traditional fusion reactions. While they are technically a form of fusion, they are often referred to separately due to their unique characteristics.
cdhuntsman
I have been reading about fusors. The articles usually refer to aneutronic reactions as though they are fusion. But are they really? For example, the pB11 reaction yields He, but this is some sort of fission isn't it? I.e. we start of with a heavier isotope and produce lighter ones through particle bombardment (only with protons instead of neutrons as in a fission reactor). Can someone explain why the view is the way it is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cdhuntsman said:
I have been reading about fusors. The articles usually refer to aneutronic reactions as though they are fusion. But are they really? For example, the pB11 reaction yields He, but this is some sort of fission isn't it? I.e. we start of with a heavier isotope and produce lighter ones through particle bombardment (only with protons instead of neutrons as in a fission reactor). Can someone explain why the view is the way it is?
That's a good question. However, the proton fuses with the nucleus of B11 forming an energetic C12 atom, which does more or less fission into three He nuclei, which are heavier than the p, but lighter than B11. But the initial reaction is fusion.

On the other hand, in fission, a neutron 'fuses' with a fissile nucleus, e.g. U235 or Pu239. I suppose the focus then was on the fissioning of the heavier nucleus into lighter nuclei and other neutrons.

Hello! I can understand your confusion about the terminology used in articles about fusors. While aneutronic reactions do involve fusion, they are not the same as traditional fusion reactions.

In aneutronic reactions, the nuclei of two atoms are fused together, but instead of producing neutrons like in traditional fusion reactions, they produce other particles such as protons, alpha particles, or helium nuclei. The pB11 reaction that you mentioned is an example of an aneutronic reaction, where a proton and a boron-11 nucleus are fused to produce three helium nuclei.

While this may seem similar to fission, where an atom is split into smaller atoms, the process of aneutronic fusion is considered a type of fusion because it involves the fusion of two nuclei to form a new nucleus. In contrast, fission involves the splitting of an atom's nucleus into smaller nuclei.

The reason why aneutronic reactions are often referred to as fusion is because they still involve the fusion of nuclei, which is the defining characteristic of fusion reactions. However, the products of aneutronic reactions are different from traditional fusion reactions, which is why they are sometimes referred to separately.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the terminology used in articles about fusors. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Related to Refer to aneutronic reactions as though they are fusion

What is aneutronic fusion?

Aneutronic fusion refers to a type of nuclear fusion reaction that produces very little or no neutrons. This means that the majority of the energy released is in the form of charged particles, such as protons and alpha particles.

How is aneutronic fusion different from traditional fusion reactions?

In traditional fusion reactions, the majority of the energy released is in the form of neutrons. In aneutronic fusion, the energy is released in the form of charged particles, which can be harnessed more efficiently and with less risk of radiation exposure.

What are the potential benefits of aneutronic fusion?

Aneutronic fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, as it uses readily available fuels such as hydrogen and boron. It also produces minimal radioactive waste compared to traditional fusion reactions.

What are the challenges of achieving aneutronic fusion?

One of the main challenges of aneutronic fusion is the high temperatures and pressures required to initiate the reaction. It also requires advanced technology and precise control to contain and sustain the reaction.

Are there any current research efforts focused on aneutronic fusion?

Yes, there are several research projects and experiments underway to develop and improve aneutronic fusion technology. These include projects such as the National Ignition Facility in the US and the Wendelstein 7-X stellarator in Germany.