Referring to professors in papers

In summary, when referring to a professor in a paper, it is best to use their appropriate title and last name, such as "Professor Smith" or "Dr. Smith". It is generally not acceptable to use their first name or a nickname, unless given explicit permission or if it is common practice in the field or institution. When citing a professor as a source, follow proper citation guidelines and include the date and location of any lectures or presentations. It may be acceptable to refer to a professor as an expert if they are well-known and recognized in their field, but be sure to provide evidence to support this claim.
broean01
This is sort of off-topic, but I couldn't find a better forum to ask in.

I'm writing a paper for my internship, and I need to refer to one of my professors for purposes of background information. I want to do this in a professional manner.

Should I say Professor Xxxx Xxxxxxx, Ph.D.?
Doctor Xxxx Xxxxxxx?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed that I accidentally clicked on the math forum instead of the physics one. Feel free to move this.

Related to Referring to professors in papers

1. How should I refer to a professor in my paper?

Professors should be referred to by their appropriate title and last name, such as "Professor Smith" or "Dr. Smith". If you are unsure of their specific academic title, it is best to ask them directly or refer to their university's website.

2. Is it acceptable to use a professor's first name in a paper?

In most cases, it is best to use a professor's formal title and last name in a paper. However, if the professor has explicitly given you permission to use their first name, or if it is common practice in your field or institution, then it may be acceptable to use their first name.

3. Can I use a professor's nickname or shortened version of their name in my paper?

It is generally not appropriate to use a professor's nickname or shortened version of their name in a paper, as it may come across as disrespectful or unprofessional. Stick to using their formal title and last name.

4. How do I cite a professor as a source in my paper?

If you are directly quoting or paraphrasing something a professor has said or written, you should cite them as you would any other source, using proper citation guidelines for your chosen citation style (such as MLA or APA). If you are citing a lecture or presentation given by a professor, be sure to include the date and location of the lecture in your citation.

5. Can I refer to a professor as an expert in my paper?

If the professor is well-known and recognized as an expert in their field, it may be appropriate to refer to them as such in your paper. However, be sure to provide evidence to support this claim, such as their credentials, publications, or awards. It is best to avoid making such statements without proper evidence to back them up.