Reflection of Light by Oil on Water

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the thickness of an oil layer on top of water that would most strongly reflect light of a specific wavelength. It also mentions the concept of thin film interference and suggests using the condition for waves reflected from both surfaces to be in phase to find the solution. It is recommended to use additional resources, such as a textbook or the Hyperphysics website, to find the answer.
MyNameIsKhan
Right, so, I am new to this, so please excuse me if I make a glaring error.

Say there is can of water with a layer on oil on the surface. Light (of lambda=590nm) is shone straight down on the oil. How do I find out the thickness of the oil layer that would most strongly reflect the light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to Physics Forums
Is this a homework question, by any chance? You are referring to thin film interference, I guess. What is the condition for the waves, reflected from both surfaces, to be in phase when they emerge from the surface? PF doesn't usually just give the answers to question like this one and what I have written should help you to find the right answer. (Or you could look at the Hyperphysics website if you don't have a textbook)

Related to Reflection of Light by Oil on Water

1. What causes the rainbow-like colors in the reflection of light by oil on water?

The rainbow-like colors in the reflection of light by oil on water are caused by the phenomenon of interference. When light waves pass through the thin layer of oil on top of the water, they reflect off both the top and bottom surfaces of the oil. These reflected waves then interfere with each other, resulting in the colorful patterns that we see.

2. Why do the colors in the reflection change when the oil and water are disturbed?

When the oil and water are disturbed, the thickness of the oil layer changes, causing the light waves to reflect off different points on the oil. This results in a different interference pattern and therefore a different color pattern in the reflection. Additionally, when the water is disturbed, the reflected light may also be scattered, causing the colors to appear more diffuse.

3. Can the colors in the reflection be predicted or controlled?

Yes, the colors in the reflection can be predicted and controlled to some extent. The colors are determined by the thickness of the oil layer, which can be controlled by adjusting the amount of oil or the angle at which it is applied to the water. However, the exact pattern of colors is difficult to predict as it also depends on the angle of observation and the properties of the light source.

4. How does the temperature of the oil and water affect the reflection of light?

The temperature of the oil and water can affect the reflection of light in two ways. Firstly, as the temperature changes, the thickness of the oil layer may also change, resulting in different interference patterns and colors. Secondly, the refractive index of the water may change with temperature, which can also alter the way light is reflected and therefore affect the colors observed.

5. What other factors can influence the reflection of light by oil on water?

Besides temperature, other factors that can influence the reflection of light by oil on water include the angle of observation, the properties of the light source, and the presence of impurities in the oil or water. These factors can all impact the interference pattern and therefore the colors observed in the reflection.