Regardless of an expanding universe

In summary, the shortest distance between two points in a flat space is a straight line, but in a curved space, it is a geodesic, which is a generalization of a straight line. However, the concept of a straight line in a curved space can be misleading and depends on the method of conversion and deformation applied. It is not always possible to map geodesics to straight lines in a flat surface, and even if it is possible, it may only hold for a small area and not for any significant distance.
Yessem101
In our universe, is the shortest distance between two points a straight line or a hyperbolic curve? (I'm debating this with my teacher)

Of course you're going to ask me for the definition of a straight line but I don't think I can define that relative to a curved line without getting unnecessarily rigorous, so just use the definition of a straight line that you would use synonymously with "a curve that has a constant slope."

Don't pick apart my definition and just answer me this quick one!

Space news on Phys.org
I guess you're describing a straight line through curved space like in this image?
hyperbolictravel.jpg

Although this grid/space is curved, the rectangles are still rectangles (correct me if I'm wrong). The line is not passing straight through the rectangles, which means the distance is actually longer going this way.
This is just how I think it is so maybe someone will correct me.

Luuk Steitner said:
I guess you're describing a straight line through curved space like in this image?
hyperbolictravel.jpg

Although this grid/space is curved, the rectangles are still rectangles (correct me if I'm wrong). The line is not passing straight through the rectangles, which means the distance is actually longer going this way.
This is just how I think it is so maybe someone will correct me.
That's not quite it. Think, rather of a sphere. There just isn't any such thing as a perfectly straight line on the surface of a sphere, because the surface itself is curved. So what we use instead are called "geodesics", which are the shortest distance between two points (geodesics are sometimes also called straight lines, though perhaps this is misleading...geodesics are only actually straight when the surface itself is flat). On a sphere, a geodesic turns out to be a great circle (it's quite literally what you'd get if you were standing on the sphere and just picked any direction and walked straight that way, assuming you could actually walk straight).

So the answer is a geodesic, which is a generalization of a straight line. It's not going to be a hyperbolic curve except in some specially-chosen geometry.

Chalnoth said:
So the answer is a geodesic, which is a generalization of a straight line. It's not going to be a hyperbolic curve except in some specially-chosen geometry.

I know what a geodesic is, but it seems like you're defining a straight line as the shortest distance between two points regardless of the space its in.

Let me ask my question in this way. The shortest distance between two points in some flat space forms a straight line, and every straight line in this flat space can be recursively defined through another straight line in the flat space. Converting the flat space to a curved space, without converting the straight lines, these straight lines still connect two points in the curved space, but are they the shortest distance between the two points in the curved space?

Yessem101 said:
I know what a geodesic is, but it seems like you're defining a straight line as the shortest distance between two points regardless of the space its in.

Let me ask my question in this way. The shortest distance between two points in some flat space forms a straight line, and every straight line in this flat space can be recursively defined through another straight line in the flat space. Converting the flat space to a curved space, without converting the straight lines, these straight lines still connect two points in the curved space, but are they the shortest distance between the two points in the curved space?

Isn't that what I pointed out with the image? In this situation your line would only look straight from the outside, but actually it's the line that's hyperbolic/curved relative to the space. Since you're traveling in this space - and not another dimension outside this space - traveling along this line would take longer.

Yessem101 said:
Well, this is the way we often think of geodesics as being: the generalization of the straight line. In any case, whether you call a geodesic a straight line or not is just words. Obviously in the special case of flat space-time, a geodesic is what we normally think of as a straight line. In curved space (or space-time, depending), straight lines (in the usual sense) are impossible.

Yessem101 said:
That entirely depends upon how you do the conversion. And bear in mind that doing such conversion always requires a stretching of said space In some cases, it can only be done with tearing (generally, you can always go from a flat space to a small region of curved space without tearing, but it's often impossible to do it globally; for instance, it's not possible to take a single sheet of paper and make an entire sphere surface without tearing).

The basic issue here is that there are a great many ways to deform a flat surface to make a curved one. Even if you could do it in such a way that the geodesics in some small area conform to straight lines in the flat surface before deformation, you'd have to do it specially, and even then it's typically going to be impossible for the mapping to hold for any significant distance.

Related to Regardless of an expanding universe

1. What is meant by an expanding universe?

An expanding universe refers to the idea that the space between galaxies is constantly growing, causing them to move away from each other over time. This expansion is thought to be driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that counteracts the pull of gravity.

2. Is the expansion of the universe accelerating or slowing down?

Recent observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is actually accelerating, meaning that the space between galaxies is increasing at an ever-increasing rate. This discovery was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2011.

3. How does the expansion of the universe affect the objects within it?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect objects within it, as the force of gravity between them is much stronger. However, the increasing distance between galaxies means that eventually they will no longer be able to interact with each other, leading to a "heat death" of the universe.

4. Will the expansion of the universe eventually stop?

It is currently unknown whether the expansion of the universe will ever stop. The rate of expansion is determined by the amount of dark energy present, and its nature is still not fully understood. Some theories suggest that the expansion may continue forever, while others propose that it will eventually slow down and reverse, leading to a "big crunch" where the universe collapses back in on itself.

5. How does the concept of an expanding universe fit into the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The idea of an expanding universe is a crucial aspect of this theory, as it provides evidence for the initial explosion and explains the observed redshift of distant galaxies. However, the exact details of the expansion, such as its rate and whether it will eventually stop, are still being studied by scientists.