Relative Speed Calculation for Man Walking on a Moving Boat

In summary, a man walking diagonally towards the bow of a ship at 2 m/s relative to the boat, which is moving at 5 m/s relative to the water, has a velocity of approximately 5.4 m/s relative to the water. This can be calculated by breaking down the man's velocity into its x and y components and using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the resulting velocity vector.
missashley

Homework Statement

A ship cruises forward at Vs = 5 m/s relative to the Water. On deck, a man walks diagonally toward the bow such that his path forms an angle theta = 22 degrees with a line perpendicular to the boat's direction of motion. He walks at Vm = 2 m/s relative to the Boat.

Here is the image

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4973/boatum7.th.jpg

At what speed does he walk relative to the water? Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

I'm unsure at what equations to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I find the horizontal movement then minus that number to 5 m/s? Hmm.

Would I do cos 68 = adj/hypo. I got 68 because 90 - 22 = 68 and, I couldn't do cos 22 because it's not a right triangle when I draw in the "imaginary" lines. But what is adj and the hypo and the opposite lengths?

I'm at a lost. Help please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to add the velocity of the boat relative to water... to the velocity of the man relative to the boat...

take x to be the direction of the boat's motion..

take y perpendicular to x...

You know that the boat's velocity relative to water is:

vxboat = 5m/s
vyboat = 0m/s

Now, get the x and y components of the man's velocity relative to the boat:

what is vxman and vyman?

The hypoteneuse of your right triangle is 2m/s. The angle is 22 degrees. calculate the two legs of the right triangle.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and determining what information is given and what is needed. In this case, we are given the speed of the boat relative to the water (Vs = 5 m/s) and the speed of the man relative to the boat (Vm = 2 m/s). We are asked to find the speed of the man relative to the water.

To solve this problem, we can use vector addition. The man's velocity relative to the water (Vw) can be represented as the sum of his velocity relative to the boat (Vm) and the boat's velocity relative to the water (Vs).

Vw = Vm + Vs

Using trigonometry, we can break down the man's velocity relative to the boat (Vm) into its horizontal and vertical components.

Vm(horizontal) = Vm(cos22)
Vm(vertical) = Vm(sin22)

The horizontal component of the man's velocity will be in the same direction as the boat's velocity, so it will add to the boat's velocity. The vertical component will be perpendicular to the boat's velocity, so it will not contribute to the boat's speed.

Therefore, the man's velocity relative to the water can be calculated as:

Vw = Vm(horizontal) + Vs
Vw = Vm(cos22) + Vs

Plugging in the given values, we get:

Vw = (2 m/s)(cos22) + 5 m/s
Vw = 1.86 m/s + 5 m/s
Vw = 6.86 m/s

So the man's speed relative to the water is 6.86 m/s. This means that if an observer on the shore saw the boat and the man walking, they would see the man moving at a speed of 6.86 m/s in the same direction as the boat's motion.

In conclusion, by using vector addition and trigonometry, we can calculate the relative speed of a man walking on a moving boat.

Related to Relative Speed Calculation for Man Walking on a Moving Boat

1. What is relative speed?

Relative speed is the measure of the speed of an object in relation to another object or reference frame. It is the difference in velocities between two objects moving in different directions.

2. How is relative speed calculated?

Relative speed can be calculated by finding the difference in velocities between two objects and taking into account the direction of motion. It can be calculated using the formula: vrel = |v1 - v2|, where v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two objects.

3. What is the importance of finding relative speed?

Finding relative speed is important in various fields of science, such as physics and astronomy. It helps in understanding the motion of objects in relation to each other and can be used to predict collisions, calculate distances, and determine the effects of forces.

4. Can relative speed be negative?

Yes, relative speed can be negative. This indicates that the objects are moving in opposite directions. In this case, the relative speed is calculated by subtracting the higher velocity from the lower velocity, resulting in a negative value.

5. How does relative speed differ from absolute speed?

Absolute speed is the actual speed of an object in relation to a fixed reference point, while relative speed is the speed of an object in relation to another object. Absolute speed is always positive, while relative speed can be positive or negative depending on the direction of motion.