Removing The Dielectric From A Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, the configuration of a parallel-plate capacitor with two square plates of side 12.0 cm, separated by a 4.50 mm gap, with half of the space between the plates filled with a dielectric material of constant K = 3.40 and the rest filled with air, can be equivalent to two parallel plate capacitors connected in parallel. The capacitance of this configuration is 62.4 pF. When an 18.0V battery is connected across the plates, the stored energy in the capacitor is 1.01 x 10^-8 J. When the dielectric is removed from the gap, the effective capacitance is reduced to 28.4 pF and the stored energy in the
BOAS

Homework Statement

Consider a parallel-plate capacitor, with two square plates of side [itex]\mathrm{12.0 cm}[/itex] separated by a [itex]\mathrm{4.50- mm}[/itex] gap. Half of the space between the gaps is filled with a material of dielectric constant [itex]\mathrm{K = 3.40}[/itex], while the rest is filled with just air.
(a) What is the capacitance, in [itex]\mathrm{pF}[/itex], of this configuration?
(b) An [itex]18.0V[/itex] battery is connected across the plates. How much energy is stored in the capacitor?
(c) The dielectric is now removed from the gap, and nothing else is changed. How much energy is now stored in the capacitor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The space is filled with a dielectric in such a way that it is equivalent to two parallel plate capacitors connected in parallel.

I am assuming [itex]K_{air} = 1[/itex]

Parts A and B are fine, so I haven't shown my working in detail here. I will if that will help the discussion of part c.

(a) [itex]C = \frac{k \epsilon_{0} A}{d}[/itex]

For 'capacitor 1' (with dielectric) [itex]C_{1} = 4.82 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F} [/itex]

For 'capacitor 2' (without dielectric) [itex]C_{2} = 1.42 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F}[/itex]

The effective capacitance of these, is simply their sum.

[itex]C_{eff} = C_{1} + C_{2} = 6.24 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F} = 62.4 \mathrm{pF}[/itex]

(b) The energy stored in this capacitor is [itex]U = \frac{1}{2}C_{eff} V^2 = 1.01 \times 10^-8 \mathrm{J}[/itex]

(c) I am unsure of, but this is what I've been thinking:

Removing the dielectric from [itex]C_{1}[/itex] increases the electric field, and thus the voltage also increases.

The voltage increases by a factor of [itex]\mathrm{k} = 3.4[/itex] to a new value of [itex]\mathrm{V} = 61.2 \mathrm{V}[/itex].

[itex]C_{1} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} 7.2 \times 10^{-3}}{0.0045} 1.42 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F}[/itex]

I think this makes sense, as this is the same as the air filled capacitor.

The new effective capacitance is [itex]C_{eff} = C_{1} + C_{2} = 2.84 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F} = 28.4\mathrm{pF}[/itex]

This is the step I'm most unsure of

Is the voltage across both capacitors now [itex]\mathrm{61.2V}[/itex]?

If so, the energy now stored in the capacitor is [itex]U = \frac{1}{2}C_{eff} V^2 = 5.32 \times 10^-8 \mathrm{J}[/itex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:

Homework Statement

Consider a parallel-plate capacitor, with two square plates of side [itex]\mathrm{12.0 cm}[/itex] separated by a [itex]\mathrm{4.50- mm}[/itex] gap. Half of the space between the gaps is filled with a material of dielectric constant [itex]\mathrm{K = 3.40}[/itex], while the rest is filled with just air.
(a) What is the capacitance, in [itex]\mathrm{pF}[/itex], of this configuration?
(b) An [itex]18.0V[/itex] battery is connected across the plates. How much energy is stored in the capacitor?
(c) The dielectric is now removed from the gap, and nothing else is changed. How much energy is now stored in the capacitor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The space is filled with a dielectric in such a way that it is equivalent to two parallel plate capacitors connected in parallel.
So the configuration is like (b) below, right?
Fig1.gif

I am assuming [itex]K_{air} = 1[/itex]

Parts A and B are fine, so I haven't shown my working in detail here. I will if that will help the discussion of part c.

(a) [itex]C = \frac{k \epsilon_{0} A}{d}[/itex]

For 'capacitor 1' (with dielectric) [itex]C_{1} = 4.82 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F} [/itex]

For 'capacitor 2' (without dielectric) [itex]C_{2} = 1.42 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F}[/itex]

The effective capacitance of these, is simply their sum.

[itex]C_{eff} = C_{1} + C_{2} = 6.24 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F} = 62.4 \mathrm{pF}[/itex]

(b) The energy stored in this capacitor is [itex]U = \frac{1}{2}C_{eff} V^2 = 1.01 \times 10^-8 \mathrm{J}[/itex]

(c) I am unsure of, but this is what I've been thinking:

Removing the dielectric from [itex]C_{1}[/itex] increases the electric field, and thus the voltage also increases.

The voltage increases by a factor of [itex]\mathrm{k} = 3.4[/itex] to a new value of [itex]\mathrm{V} = 61.2 \mathrm{V}[/itex].
Hold on! Only one of your capacitors had a dielectric. If they were physically separate and unconnected then the voltage of the one that had the dielectric would change by k, but the other would not. Since they are physically connected in this case, you cannot assume that the assembly as a whole will be altered by factor k when the dielectric is removed.

Rather than working with the voltage which changes, why not work with the charge which must remain constant when the capacitor is isolated? What's the expression for the energy stored in a capacitor in terms of the charge?
[itex]C_{1} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} 7.2 \times 10^{-3}}{0.0045} 1.42 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F}[/itex]

I think this makes sense, as this is the same as the air filled capacitor.

The new effective capacitance is [itex]C_{eff} = C_{1} + C_{2} = 2.84 \times 10^{-11} \mathrm{F} = 28.4\mathrm{pF}[/itex]

This is the step I'm most unsure of

Is the voltage across both capacitors now [itex]\mathrm{61.2V}[/itex]?
Nope.
If so, the energy now stored in the capacitor is [itex]U = \frac{1}{2}C_{eff} V^2 = 5.32 \times 10^-8 \mathrm{J}[/itex]

Thanks!

gneill said:
So the configuration is like (b) below, right?
View attachment 81853

Yes.

gneill said:
Hold on! Only one of your capacitors had a dielectric. If they were physically separate and unconnected then the voltage of the one that had the dielectric would change by k, but the other would not. Since they are physically connected in this case, you cannot assume that the assembly as a whole will be altered by factor k when the dielectric is removed.

Rather than working with the voltage which changes, why not work with the charge which must remain constant when the capacitor is isolated? What's the expression for the energy stored in a capacitor in terms of the charge?

Is my treatment as separate capacitors ok for part b?

The energy stored in a capacitor in terms of charge is [itex]U = \frac{Q^{2}}{2C}[/itex]

So, I should be able to do this by saying the initial charge on the capacitor is [itex]Q = CV[/itex]

When the dielectric is removed, the effective capacitance is reduced to that of a simple air filled parallel plate capacitor, with Q held constant.

[itex]Q = C_{eff}V = 18(6.24 \times 10^{-11}) = 1.1232 \times 10^{-9} C[/itex]

Once the dielectric has been removed, the effective capacitance of the system is [itex]C_{eff} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} A}{d} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} \times 0.0144}{0.0045} = 2.83 \times 10^{-11} F[/itex]

The energy stored in the capacitor is now [itex]U = \frac{Q^{2}}{2C} = \frac{(1.1232 \times 10^{-9})^{2}}{2(2.83 \times 10^{-11})} = 2.23 \times 10^{-8} J[/itex]

BOAS said:
Is my treatment as separate capacitors ok for part b?
Yes.
The energy stored in a capacitor in terms of charge is [itex]U = \frac{Q^{2}}{2C}[/itex]

So, I should be able to do this by saying the initial charge on the capacitor is [itex]Q = CV[/itex]

When the dielectric is removed, the effective capacitance is reduced to that of a simple air filled parallel plate capacitor, with Q held constant.

[itex]Q = C_{eff}V = 18(6.24 \times 10^{-11}) = 1.1232 \times 10^{-9} C[/itex]

Once the dielectric has been removed, the effective capacitance of the system is [itex]C_{eff} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} A}{d} = \frac{\epsilon_{0} \times 0.0144}{0.0045} = 2.83 \times 10^{-11} F[/itex]

The energy stored in the capacitor is now [itex]U = \frac{Q^{2}}{2C} = \frac{(1.1232 \times 10^{-9})^{2}}{2(2.83 \times 10^{-11})} = 2.23 \times 10^{-8} J[/itex]
Yup. Looks good!

gneill said:
Yes.

Yup. Looks good!

Thanks for the help!

Related to Removing The Dielectric From A Parallel Plate Capacitor

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field between two parallel plates. It is commonly used in electronic devices for storing charge and filtering signals.

2. How does a dielectric affect a parallel plate capacitor?

A dielectric is a non-conductive material that is placed between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor. This material affects the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates and increasing the amount of charge that can be stored.

3. Why would someone want to remove the dielectric from a parallel plate capacitor?

Removing the dielectric from a parallel plate capacitor can increase its capacitance, allowing it to store more charge. This can be useful in certain applications where a higher capacitance is needed.

4. How can one remove the dielectric from a parallel plate capacitor?

To remove the dielectric from a parallel plate capacitor, the plates can be separated and the dielectric material can be carefully removed. Alternatively, the capacitor can be placed in a strong electric field, which can breakdown the dielectric and remove it.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to removing the dielectric from a parallel plate capacitor?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with removing the dielectric from a parallel plate capacitor. The process can damage the capacitor and may also cause a short circuit, which can be dangerous. Additionally, removing the dielectric can decrease the reliability and lifespan of the capacitor.