Replenish Gut Flora: Options Beyond Fecal Transplant

• Thread starter wywong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gut
In summary, there are no clear ways to replenish the gut bacteria after antibiotics have killed off many of the good bacteria. Some suggest taking capsules of bacteria, but this is not likely to have a lasting effect.
wywong
Antibiotics often killed off good bacteria species in our guts. Are there any ways to replenish them, other than the unpleasant fecal transplant procedure?

A search on this topic mostly return recommendations on healthy diet and probiotics. I reckon these can only help surviving species, and those species that have been eradicated are gone for good. Or could their kin somehow re-colonize our guts?

Some suggest soil-based organisms, but I am unable to find any supporting scientific evidence.

Biology news on Phys.org
You can take capsules of bacteria, which in the US can be obtained from your pharmacist without a prescription. But, as always, ask your doctor before self treating since they know your history.

Do you mean those sold as probiotics? My understanding is that those bacteria strains are transient in our gut; they don't colonize. For example

The investigators showed that the probiotic product did not change the gut's overall bacterial composition, but instead altered gene expression patterns relevant to carbohydrate metabolism in the host's resident gut microbes.[14] These changes in the human fecal "metatranscriptome" were transient, confined only to the time of the probiotic consumption. Thus, if sustained benefit from a probiotic is desired, continued consumption is likely required.

from http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/770468_3

Also those probiotics often contain only a few strains, which do not seem enough to make up the loss of the microbiome.

Your link doesn't work for me.

The type I took worked for me and the antibiotic I was on was meant to completely wipe out my bacteria, because I had an infection that would not go away, so I had to take the capsules daily, it was a 30 day course, like I said, talk to your doctor. This thread is closed as we cannot go into anything more specific.

Here is an explanation of when fecal transplantation would be considered.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gast...advanced_endoscopy/fecal_transplantation.html

Last edited:
Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to Replenish Gut Flora: Options Beyond Fecal Transplant

1. What is the purpose of replenishing gut flora?

The gut flora, also known as the gut microbiome, plays a crucial role in our overall health and well-being. It helps with digestion, supports our immune system, and even affects our mood. Replenishing gut flora is important to maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut and prevent various health problems.

2. What are some options for replenishing gut flora besides fecal transplant?

While fecal transplant is a widely used method for replenishing gut flora, there are other options available as well. These include probiotic supplements, prebiotic foods, fermented foods, and certain dietary changes such as increasing fiber intake and reducing sugar consumption.

3. Can replenishing gut flora improve digestive issues?

Yes, replenishing gut flora has been shown to improve various digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. This is because a healthy balance of gut bacteria is essential for proper digestion and absorption of nutrients from food.

4. Are there any risks associated with replenishing gut flora?

In most cases, replenishing gut flora is considered safe. However, there may be some risks involved, especially with fecal transplant. These include potential infections, allergic reactions, and the transfer of unwanted bacteria. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before undergoing any form of gut flora replenishment.

5. How long does it take to replenish gut flora?

The time it takes to replenish gut flora can vary from person to person, depending on the method used and the individual's overall health. In some cases, it can take a few weeks to see improvements, while in others, it may take several months. Consistent and long-term maintenance of a healthy gut microbiome is essential for optimal results.