Residue field of p-adic integers

In summary: But in order to prove that they are equal, we need to show that there is a map from \mathbb{Z}_{(p)} to \mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}.
pablis79
In the field of rationals [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] (rationals in the ring of the p-adic integers), how is it possible to prove the residue field [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}/p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] is equal to [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex] ?

I've narrowed it down to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}/p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)} = \left\{ a/b\in\mathbb{Q} : p\nmid a, p \nmid b \right\} [/itex], but can't seem to make the last step...

Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hmm...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex]?

I defined [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] to be

[itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)} = \left\{\frac{a}{b}\in\mathbb{Q}:p\nmid b\right\}[/itex].

That aren't the p-adic integers...

Anyway, you could prove that the quotient is a field that contains p elements. That shows it.

There's a really obvious map from Z_(p) onto Z/pZ whose kernel is pZ_(p). Hint: if p doesn't divide b, then b is a unit in Z/pZ.

Thanks morphism. I'm not particularly up on group/ring theory etc. However, I am learning!

From what I understand from your response, we seek a map from [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z} = \left\{0,1,\ldots,p-1\right\}[/itex]. By kernel I think you mean the subset of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] that maps to the zero element in [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. So the kernel is [itex]p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex], i.e. the set of all rationals in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] such that [itex]p[/itex] divides the numerator. I think one of the things I'm finding difficult is to understand how [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}/p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] can equal [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex] (the set with [itex]p[/itex] elements) since [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}/p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] actually contains not p elements but a whole load of rationals such that p does not divide numerator or denominator. So how can we say they are equal when one contains fractions and the other p integers?

I'm beginning to think that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}/p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)} = \mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex] because if we take all elements in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex] and modulo (congruence?) them to [itex]p\mathbb{Z}_{(p)}[/itex], the very basic set of resulting elements that results is [itex]\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Is this along the right/wrong lines?

Z_(p)/pZ_(p) contains only p elements. Think about Z/pZ: Z is infinite, but Z/pZ only has p elements in it.

I think your problem is stemming from the fact that you're trying to show that Z_(p)/pZ_(p) and Z/pZ are equal, when they're not (well, depending on your definition of Z/pZ). They're "isomorphic".

Related to Residue field of p-adic integers

1. What is the residue field of p-adic integers?

The residue field of p-adic integers refers to the field obtained by taking the quotient of p-adic integers by the ideal generated by p. In simpler terms, it is the field of numbers that remain after dividing p-adic integers by p.

2. How is the residue field of p-adic integers related to p-adic numbers?

The residue field of p-adic integers is a subfield of the p-adic numbers, which are an extension of the rational numbers. The residue field consists of the elements in the p-adic numbers that have a finite number of p-adic digits after the decimal point.

3. What are some properties of the residue field of p-adic integers?

The residue field of p-adic integers is a finite field with p elements. It is also a complete field, meaning that all Cauchy sequences converge to a limit within the field. Additionally, it is a local field, which means there is a unique absolute value on the field.

4. How is the residue field of p-adic integers used in number theory?

The residue field of p-adic integers is important in number theory because it allows for a more precise analysis of congruences and divisibility. It is also used in algebraic number theory, as it provides a way to study algebraic extensions of p-adic fields.

5. Can the residue field of p-adic integers be extended to other fields?

Yes, the concept of a residue field can be extended to other fields, such as algebraic number fields and function fields. In these cases, the residue field is obtained by taking the quotient of the ring of integers of the field by a prime ideal.