Resistor Failure: Is it Open or Short Circuit?

In summary, when a resistor fails, it means that it does not provide the specified amount of resistance, whether it be too much or too little. This can happen when the resistor becomes open circuit, with infinite resistance, or when it becomes a short circuit with no resistance. Resistors have a tolerance rating, which means that they may deviate from their nominal value by a certain percentage. If a resistor fails to meet this tolerance, it is considered a bad part and cannot be trusted.
asdf1
The statement, "when a resistor fails, it will normally open." is true.
But I don't understand:
when a resistor fails, doesn't that mean that the resistor doesn't work? so doesn't that mean that resistance=0=short circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a resistor burns out so that the counductive material is disrupted, then it is an open circuit with infinite resistance, i.e. conductance = 0.

If somehow, the resistor short circuits then it has no resistance (and it is then no longer a resistor).

Last edited:
is a failed resistor one that has 0 resistance?

A resistor is "failed" when it doesn't provide the amount of resistance it is rated to, whether it be too much or too little.

FredGarvin said:
A resistor is "failed" when it doesn't provide the amount of resistance it is rated to, whether it be too much or too little.
That's a good point. Perhaps I can expand on that..
Resistors are given a tolerance rating, which could be within 1%, 2%, 5%, or 10% of its nominal value. (You will see what I mean by following the link). If your resistor has a tolerance of 1% and it now measure more than that, it fails to meet its specification. Its a bad part and cannot be trusted to hold even its present measured value in a circuit.

asdf1 said, "when a resistor fails, it will normally open" . A resistor normally heats up as it conducts current. If the resistor is weakened or defective, that heat can cause the resistor to fuse open. Just like a real fuse, the resistor becomes an open circuit.

Last edited:
i see! thanks! :)

Related to Resistor Failure: Is it Open or Short Circuit?

1. What causes a resistor to fail?

A resistor can fail due to various factors such as overheating, excessive current flow, physical damage, or poor quality materials. The most common cause of resistor failure is overheating, which can be caused by using a resistor with a lower power rating than required, operating at a higher temperature than recommended, or being exposed to a high voltage surge.

2. How can I determine if a resistor has failed?

The best way to determine if a resistor has failed is by measuring its resistance using a multimeter. If the resistance reading is significantly higher or lower than the marked value, it indicates an open or short circuit, respectively. Another way is to visually inspect the resistor for any physical damage or discoloration, which can also indicate a failure.

3. What is an open circuit failure?

An open circuit failure occurs when the resistor's connection is broken, and there is no current flow through it. This can happen due to a broken wire, a disconnected lead, or a damaged component. An open circuit failure can result in a complete loss of functionality of the circuit.

4. What is a short circuit failure?

A short circuit failure occurs when the resistor's resistance drops to almost zero, resulting in a high current flow. This can happen due to a damaged resistor, a solder bridge, or a faulty connection. A short circuit failure can lead to overheating, damage to other components, and even fire hazards.

5. Can a resistor be repaired if it fails?

In most cases, a failed resistor cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced. However, if the failure is due to a damaged connection or a solder bridge, it can be fixed by re-soldering or replacing the affected components. It is essential to identify the cause of failure before attempting any repairs to ensure the issue does not occur again.