Resume for a summer internship

In summary, the intern's experience is limited, but he has a lot of skills that could be useful for a resume. He accepted the internship through a program that he wasn't aware of the requirements, so he is looking for advice on how to present himself.
mateomy
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this should be here or in 'Academic Guidance' but I'm sure the mods will make that call.

Anyway, I accepted a summer internship at JPL/NASA this summer and just received an email that had me complete some registration steps. One of the steps wants me to upload a resume, which I don't have currently so I'm sort of confused on how to start.
As an undergrad my experience is super limited save for a part time job. How does someone with such little to say in terms of 'experience', go and write a resume?

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can include non-work related things, such as academic (prizes, scholarships, etc.) and non-academic (sport, arts etc.) achievements , or your involvement in any clubs (university, sport, etc.), especially if you held a position of leadership or contributed in some way. Perhaps if there are any particular projects in which you led a group of people at university, you could also mention then. And even though your actual work experience may be limited to a part time job, it is worth writing a bit about it anyway; it is better than having a blank space under "employment history". It could also be worth having a small section on personal interests, just to add some character to your resume. I know some people think it is pointless (and maybe in some circumstances it is), but I know that my small list of personal interests has sparked some interesting discussion (often because of a common interest with the interviewer) in a few interviews I've had, which can only be a good thing I think.

I think a lot of people think resume as just the typical name, summary, skills, work experience etc... I would advise you to research "functional resume." It works well for people who have limited work experience. Instead of listing work history, you list functional skills and give concrete examples on how you have used this skills. I tend to prefer to read these resume than work history from undergraduate because your work history is clearly limited but your skills may not be.

Resume writing is extremely hard to do for most people. Your university should have a career center that can help you. Look this up and good luck!

How did you accept an internship without presenting a resume to recruiters in the first place?

Aero51 said:
How did you accept an internship without presenting a resume to recruiters in the first place?
I was thinking the same thing. I guess he is a really good networker.

It's through a summer REU sort of thing. I didn't think I had to present a resume since it's through school, but the email I received today is stating otherwise.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Related to Resume for a summer internship

1. What should I include in my resume for a summer internship?

Your resume for a summer internship should include your contact information, education, relevant work experience, skills, and any relevant extracurricular activities or achievements. It should also be tailored to the specific internship you are applying for.

2. How long should my resume be for a summer internship?

Your resume for a summer internship should ideally be one page in length. This is a general guideline, but if you have extensive relevant experience, it may be acceptable to have a two-page resume.

3. Should I include a cover letter with my resume for a summer internship?

Yes, it is always recommended to include a cover letter with your resume for a summer internship. This gives you an opportunity to expand on your qualifications and express your interest in the specific internship you are applying for.

4. Is it necessary to include references on my resume for a summer internship?

No, it is not necessary to include references on your resume for a summer internship. However, you should have a list of references prepared in case the employer requests them. Make sure to ask for permission from your references before including them on your list.

5. How can I make my resume stand out for a summer internship?

To make your resume stand out for a summer internship, make sure to highlight your relevant skills and experiences, use keywords from the internship description, and tailor your resume to the specific company and role. Additionally, you can include a summary or objective statement at the top of your resume to showcase your goals and qualifications.