Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer

In summary, Zz is retiring from running the PF Photo Contest and will be handing the reigns over to someone else on Nov. 1st. If you are interested in taking over, please contact him.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
As most of you know, I started the PF Photo Contest in May of 2006. I think it has become quite a fun activity here in the GD forum. However, it is time for me to "retire" from running the contest and let someone else takes over. This will be effective on Nov. 1st, 2008. I will still be running the poll for this week's photo contest.

If you are so inclined to take over the weekly contest, please contact me as soon as possible. If I have more than one volunteer, I will consult Evo on who would be best to run it.

Thanks for all your support and participation since the very beginning. It was a lot of fun (most of the time) running the contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
The contests are so much fun! Having taken over for you once, I now realize how time consumming it is.

If someone is willing to run the contests, I would be willing to help if there was editing needed.

Thanks zz for all of the great contests!

Sorry to see it go, it was fun to see all the interpretations. I barely have enough time to even write a couple posts in a day.

Thank, Zz for the work done and the creative amusing subjects, and I'm happy to take over.

I really enjoyed seeing everyones photos. Thanks for all your time and effort, well done.

Told you if we didn't let him win more often he wouldn't keep doing it.

ZapperZ said:
It was a lot of fun (most of the time) running the contest.

And it was fun to take part, thanks for the opportunity.

Andre said:
I'm happy to take over.

Will you ever need any help - feel free to ask.

Thanks for the fun ZZ. Does one need some access to PF administrative tools to run the photo contests?

turbo-1 said:
Thanks for the fun ZZ. Does one need some access to PF administrative tools to run the photo contests?

No. Evo and other Mentors will assist if there ever is any need to take such actions.

Zz.

Thank you, Zz, for all the effort you put into the contest. :smile:

Andre said:
Thank, Zz for the work done and the creative amusing subjects, and I'm happy to take over.

Off-topic: It's funny to see the phrase workdone linked to the PF library. :biggrin:

In that case, I will volunteer as well. Or, if Andre wants to do it and is busy at times, I would sub for him. Any way is OK.

BTW, how do you keep track of which pictures have been previously used and when? It would seem that might be time-consuming.

turbo-1 said:
BTW, how do you keep track of which pictures have been previously used and when? It would seem that might be time-consuming.

One qualification for the "job" is that one needs to have a very, very good visual memory.

Zz.

Andre said:
I'm happy to take over.

Borek said:
Will you ever need any help - feel free to ask.

turbo-1 said:
In that case, I will volunteer as well. Or, if Andre wants to do it and is busy at times, I would sub for him.

Getting crowdy :smile:

Thanks for all the hard work keeping those going this long, Zz! And good luck to your successor. :biggrin:

Thanks Zz! :smile:

ZapperZ said:
One qualification for the "job" is that one needs to have a very, very good visual memory.

Zz.
That might make me a poor choice, since I can't even remember my own images. I post images on other sites, as well, and don't keep records on them. If someone else wants to run the contests, I'd be happy to come up with contest themes. I tend to like the ones with some ambiguity just to see how everyone else interprets them.

Thanks for keeping these going for so long ZZ. They've been good fun :smile:

Thanks for the contest ZZ. My family and I certainly have enjoyed the photos. It is fun for sure. Once again thanks!

Thanks for the inspiration ZZ! It has been fun!

Thanks ZZ for the fun contests!

It was an inspired idea, ZZ, and is a real bonus on this forum. I realize it's a load of work. Thank you for doing it for so long. You did a great job.

GeorginaS said:
It was an inspired idea, ZZ, and is a real bonus on this forum. I realize it's a load of work. Thank you for doing it for so long. You did a great job.
I second that. You kept it running for a long time, which I think is great.

Thanks again, everyone.

We are still looking for more volunteers. While it did cross my mind that we may have more than one person running the show, in the end, and with consideration to how tedious it can get, it is best that only one person is in charge of the whole thing, at least in the beginning. What happens afterwards is up to that person.

So far we have had... what... 3 volunteers? All of them are capable to run the contest, and I'll discuss with Evo some time this week on which one will get the "job". :) It's not too late to throw your name into the hat!

Zz.

Finally noticed this thread, and just wanted to say thank you to ZapperZ for doing this. Whether I am submitting a photo or not, it is always fun to check out these threads.

After searching high and low, left and right, up and down, and with consultation with Evo, I've finally come to a decision to select

matthyaouw

to continue running the PF Photo Contest. I hope everyone will give him the support and participation as he takes over the helm. He has the freedom to do as he wishes with the contest.

However, his official duties will be delayed for a week due to his excursion out of town next week. So he will officially take over for the contest starting on Nov. 8. In the meantime, for the Nov. 1st contest, Borek has graciously agreed to run the contest as a last-minute substitute.

I will continue to run the poll for this week's contest, and will officially retire as soon as that is done. Thanks to everyone who volunteered, and those who continue to participate in the contest.

Zz.

Thank you for all of your hard work, Zapper. The photo competition has been a real highlight of the forum and is enjoyed by many here. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

Congratulations matthyaouw!

matthyaouw, congratulations. I know that you will do a great job.

best regards.

Congrats matt!

Congratulations matthyaouw! Wow, and having done this before, you even know what you're getting into!

Zz, I don't know how you did this for so long. I filled in for you that one time and I was struggling. No one knows how much work it is to keep two contests going all of the time.

The PF Photo Contest has been truly wonderful and I know matthyaouw will do a great job.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to running these. I hope I can match ZapperZ's imagination for chosing themes!

Related to Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer

1. What is the purpose of the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer"?

The purpose of the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer" is to recognize and honor the retirement of the organizer of the PF Photo Contest, who has dedicated their time and effort to make the contest a success.

2. How long has the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer" been running?

The "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer" has been running for [insert number] years, since the first organizer retired.

3. Who is eligible for the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer"?

Any individual who has served as the organizer of the PF Photo Contest and is now retiring is eligible for the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer".

4. Are there any prizes or rewards for the retiring organizer?

While there are no official prizes or rewards for the retiring organizer, the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer" serves as a special recognition and thank you for their contributions to the contest.

5. How can I nominate someone for the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer"?

Nominations for the "Retirement of PF Photo Contest Organizer" can be made by submitting a letter or email to the organizing committee, detailing the retiring organizer's contributions to the contest and why they deserve to be recognized. Nominations can also be made by current or past participants of the PF Photo Contest.