Reviewing Phasors: When to Add +/- 180 in $\tan^{-1}$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of inverse tangent in circuits and the confusion surrounding adding or subtracting 180 degrees when taking the inverse tangent of negative numbers. Examples are provided to show that the method suggested by the professor does not always work and the correct approach is to use the atan2 function.
Dethrone
I'm reviewing phasors (in circuits) and my prof wrote that if you're taking the inverse tangent, $\tan^{-1}{\frac{b}{a}}$ where $a$ is negative, you need to add $+/- 180$. Now I understand that the inverse tangent is defined between $-\pi/2$ to $\pi/2$ for invertibility, etc, but adding or subtracting 180 doesn't always work?

For example, consider $-3+1j$, where (j is the imaginary unit), then the angle is easily seen to be $108.4$ degrees. Using a calculator, $\tan^{-1}(-1/3)=-18.4$ degrees, but no scalar multiply of $180$ will bring me to $108.4$. (I have to add $90$ degrees) So does that imply that my prof's method doesn't generally work?

This is not a problem when you do conversions by hand, but it's been recommended to use the calculator to convert from rectangular to polar, so it would be crucial to know whether or not to add 90, 180, etc.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You keep editing your post...every time I go to reply, it has changed...:D

For the complex number:

\(\displaystyle z=-1+3j\)

We then find (bearing in mind we are in quadrant II):

\(\displaystyle \arg(z)=\pi-\arctan\left(3\right)\approx108.4^{\circ}\)

You simply mixed up the coordinates in the Argand plane. :D

edit: You changed your post again...:(

Sorry, LOL, I'm way too tired at the moment (I kept doing $\tan^{-1}\frac{a}{b}$ instead of $\tan^{-1}\frac{b}{a}$which further added to my confusion), but mainly I was trying to find a simple example that matched the question in the book until i realized the book was wrong - so my confusion in the first place was nonsense.

$-1103.55+j353.5$
In polar coordinates:
$1158.79 \angle 162.2$, but the book gets $1158.79\angle 107.76$

The book answer is wrong?

(I normally use the quadrant argument, but when I get rational functions in rectangular form and stick it into a calculator, I can't really distill which quadrant it belongs to, so I decide to stick with adding 180 degrees. I could rationalize it the denominator, but there isn't enough time on the exam :D)

Last edited:
Just busting your chops, my friend...I have days where nothing I post is right the first time...:D

W|A agrees with you:

View attachment 4216

Attachments

• ridopolar.png
    ridopolar.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 49
You basically need atan2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll down to "definition and computation" to see how it is defined, watch out for the order of the arguments). This will make sure to return the right angle in every case, assuming that zero radians is along the positive real axis and you measure counterclockwise.

Haha, thanks so much, Mark! :D

EDIT: ...and Bacterius! I never knew about atan2 (pretty cool stuff!), sadly the calculator mandated by my department lacks that function.
EDIT2: Yes! atan2 defined piece-wisely is what I need. (Cool)

Related to Reviewing Phasors: When to Add +/- 180 in $\tan^{-1}$?

1. What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal function at a specific point in time. It is used in electrical engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems involving alternating currents and voltages.

2. Why do we need to add or subtract 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function when dealing with phasors?

When dealing with phasors, we are working with complex numbers that have both real and imaginary components. The $\tan^{-1}$ function only gives us the angle of the phasor in the first or fourth quadrant. By adding or subtracting 180, we can get the correct angle in the second or third quadrant.

3. When should we add 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function?

We should add 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function when the imaginary component of the complex number is negative. This indicates that the phasor is in the third quadrant.

4. When should we subtract 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function?

We should subtract 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function when the imaginary component of the complex number is positive. This indicates that the phasor is in the second quadrant.

5. Can we always add or subtract 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function when dealing with phasors?

No, we cannot always add or subtract 180 in the $\tan^{-1}$ function when dealing with phasors. This method only works when we are dealing with single phasors that have a real and imaginary component. If we have multiple phasors or a more complex phasor diagram, we may need to use other techniques to determine the correct angle.