REVTeX4, LaTeX (and MikTeX?) problem

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter kmcfarlane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, The conversation is about using figures in EPS format in LaTeX and the differences between using \include and \input for importing them. The issue is that when using \include, the references for the figures are not defined while they are when using \input. The person is using REVTeX4 and MiKTeX on Win x64 and is wondering if there may be any solutions or thoughts on the matter.
kmcfarlane
I'm having a problem with REVTeX4 and LaTeX. I have four figures in EPS format (although there may be some non-compliance with EPS specs). They are from different applications that claim to export EPS files.

These figures sometimes display in the dvi or ps files and sometimes not. Depends on where they are in the file.
If I put each figure in a separate .tex files (as \begin{figure}...), and
then \include them, they all do display. If I \input them, they do not.

If I use \input, LaTeX2e picks up the figure \labels and uses them in \ref callouts, but if I use \include, the references are not defined. I looked at the aux files, and when using \include, the label info is not there. \protect does not help.

The LaTeX handbook is no help -- it does not say that \label in included files are ignored.

I'm using REVTeX4 and MiKTeX on Win x64, with GSView for x64 (and WinShell as an editor).

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you directly import all the files into your main tex file? Wouldn't that be an easier solution?

Related to REVTeX4, LaTeX (and MikTeX?) problem

1. What is REVTeX4 and LaTeX?

REVTeX4 is a document preparation system specifically designed for writing scientific and technical documents, primarily in the field of physics. It is built on top of LaTeX, which is a widely-used document preparation system for various fields of science and academia.

2. What is the purpose of using REVTeX4 and LaTeX?

The purpose of using REVTeX4 and LaTeX is to create professional-looking documents with consistent formatting and layout, especially for scientific and technical publications. It allows for easy organization of complex equations, figures, and references, making it a popular choice for researchers and academics.

3. What is MikTeX and how does it relate to REVTeX4 and LaTeX?

MikTeX is a distribution of LaTeX that includes all the necessary packages and tools for creating documents. It is compatible with REVTeX4 and can be used to compile documents written in LaTeX, including those using the REVTeX4 document class.

4. What are some common problems encountered when using REVTeX4 and LaTeX?

Some common problems encountered when using REVTeX4 and LaTeX include errors in compiling the document, difficulty in formatting equations and figures, and issues with referencing and bibliography. These problems can often be solved by consulting online resources or seeking help from experienced users.

5. How can I learn to use REVTeX4 and LaTeX effectively?

The best way to learn to use REVTeX4 and LaTeX effectively is by practicing and familiarizing yourself with its features and commands. There are also various online tutorials and resources available, as well as user communities where you can ask for help and advice. It may take some time to become proficient, but with practice, you can create professional-looking documents with ease.