Rewrite an even of N series as a function of N

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for rewriting the summation of consecutive numbers from 1 to N, where N is even, as (N/2)(N+1). This method involves grouping the first and last terms, second and second-to-last terms, etc. and realizing that the number of terms in the sum is half of N. The conversation also mentions that this grouping trick can be applied even if N is not even.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

If N is even, so that 1+2+3+...+N = (N+1)N/2

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily rewrite the summation as
Screenshot (2).png
but I do not know how to justify the question. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:
I can easily rewrite the summation as
This is not the way to rewrite that summation. It should be ##\sum_{x=1}^N{x}##. Your sum just gives ##N##.

Can you see a way to group the first and the last term together, then the second and the next to last, etc..?

Likes Calpalned
I see... If I take N = 4, the it will be 1+2+3+4 = 10
I can group them into (1+4) + (2+3) = 5 + 5. So there are two terms, so 4/2

If N =6 then it will be 1+2+3+4+5+6= 21
and I can group them into (1+6) + (2+5) +(3+4) = 7+7+7, so there are 3 terms, so 6/2

So it looks like the general formula, if N is even, is (N/2)(N+1)
Now I get it!
Thank you!

Maybe I should have added that it is not necessary to suppose that ##N## is even. The "grouping" trick works generally.

Likes Calpalned
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

If N is even, so that 1+2+3+...+N = (N+1)N/2

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily rewrite the summation as View attachment 89954 but I do not know how to justify the question. Thank you.
I see that lately you haven't posted here very much.

As a reminder, please state your complete problem in the body of your thread, no mater what is stated in the title.

It's not at all clear, what you're trying to do here.

Related to Rewrite an even of N series as a function of N

1. What does it mean to "rewrite an even of N series"?

When we talk about rewriting an even of N series, we are referring to rearranging or reorganizing a series or sequence of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule. The "even of N" part means that the series consists of even numbers, where N represents any integer.

2. How is this different from rewriting an odd of N series?

The main difference between rewriting an even of N series and an odd of N series is the pattern of numbers. An even of N series will only consist of even numbers, while an odd of N series will only consist of odd numbers. The "of N" part means that the series follows a specific rule or pattern that relates to the integer N.

3. Can you provide an example of rewriting an even of N series as a function of N?

Sure, an example of rewriting an even of N series as a function of N would be: f(N) = 2N, where f(N) represents the function and 2N represents the even numbers in the series. This function would return even numbers for any input of N.

4. What are some common functions used to rewrite even of N series?

There are many different functions that can be used to rewrite even of N series, but some of the most common include linear functions, exponential functions, and polynomial functions. These functions can be used to create different patterns and rules for the series, depending on the desired outcome.

5. Why is it important to be able to rewrite even of N series as a function of N?

Being able to rewrite even of N series as a function of N allows us to better understand and analyze patterns and sequences in mathematics and science. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations based on the given series, which can be useful in various fields such as statistics, physics, and computer science.