Rewriting Equation 15: Two Transverse Waves Moving in Opposite Directions

In summary, the solution to the wave equation can be written as the sum of two transverse waves moving in opposite directions along the wire. This can be achieved using the trig identity for the product of sine and cosine, where the variables are substituted for the given equation. The formula for the product of sine and cosine is derived by inverting the trig identity for sine(A ± B) and setting Alpha = 2*pi*f*x/v and Beta = 2*pi*f*t.
Below

Homework Statement

Show that the solution to the wave equation, Equation 15, can be rewritten as the sum of two transverse waves moving in opposite directions along the wire.

Equation 15:y(x,t) = A(sin(2*pi*f*x)/v))*cos(2*pi*f*t)

Homework Equations

Superposition: y(x,t) = f(x-ct) + g(x+ct)
Period: T = (1/f) = (2 * pi/omega)
Wavelength = (2* pi)/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just don't know where to start. Do I need a trig identity? I am completely not sure how to separate it into two terms that use like superposition for example. This equation shown above is not the standard wave equation but with variables substituted inside. I am trying to solve this or show for the topic of standing waves on a wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to invert the trig identities for [tex]\sin(A\pm B)[/tex] to derive a formula for the product [tex]\sin A \cos B[/tex].

So, what do you mean by inverting the trig identity?

Could you possibly, show me how to start this question?

sin Alpha cos β = ½[sin (Alpha + β) + sin (Alpha − β)] <--- This is a trig identity I should be using?

So would i just set Alpha = 2*pi*f*x/v and beta = 2*pi*f*t?

Last edited:

Related to Rewriting Equation 15: Two Transverse Waves Moving in Opposite Directions

1. What is Equation 15 and why is it important in studying waves?

Equation 15 is a mathematical representation of two transverse waves moving in opposite directions. It is important in studying waves because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of these waves, such as their amplitudes, frequencies, and wavelengths.

2. How is Equation 15 different from other wave equations?

Equation 15 specifically refers to two transverse waves moving in opposite directions, whereas other wave equations may refer to different types of waves or only one wave. It also takes into account the interaction between the two waves, which is not present in other wave equations.

3. Can you provide an example of how Equation 15 is used in real-life situations?

One example is the interference pattern created by two water waves travelling in opposite directions in a body of water. The resulting pattern is a result of the superposition of the two waves, as described by Equation 15.

4. Are there any limitations to using Equation 15?

Equation 15 is a simplified mathematical representation of two waves in a vacuum. In real-life situations, there may be external factors that can affect the behavior of the waves, such as obstacles or varying medium properties. Therefore, the results from using Equation 15 may not always accurately reflect the actual wave behavior.

5. How can understanding Equation 15 help in practical applications?

Equation 15 can be applied in various fields, such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetism. By understanding the behavior of two transverse waves moving in opposite directions, we can design and improve technologies that utilize wave phenomena, such as antennas, microphones, and optical instruments.