RIP physicist Arno Penzias, 1978 Nobel Laureate in physics

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Likes collinsmark, Klystron, pinball1970 and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. I had no idea he was still alive. I met him in graduate school, which was a long, long time ago.

Likes pinball1970, Astronuc and StatGuy2000
What a fantastic discovery and collaboration. Like many PF members I enjoy working on and reusing old electronic equipment for new missions. Discovering the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) using an old musty radar receiver ranks among the finest.

Likes StatGuy2000

Related to RIP physicist Arno Penzias, 1978 Nobel Laureate in physics

1. Who was physicist Arno Penzias?

Arno Penzias was an American physicist who, along with Robert Wilson, discovered the cosmic microwave background radiation, which provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe.

2. What did Arno Penzias win the Nobel Prize in Physics for?

Arno Penzias, along with Robert Wilson, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1978 for their discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

3. When did Arno Penzias pass away?

Arno Penzias passed away on February 20, 2020, at the age of 87.

4. What impact did Arno Penzias have on the field of physics?

Arno Penzias's discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation provided crucial evidence for the Big Bang theory and revolutionized our understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe.

5. What is the significance of Arno Penzias being a Nobel Laureate in physics?

As a Nobel Laureate in physics, Arno Penzias is recognized for his outstanding contributions to the field of physics and his groundbreaking discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which has had a lasting impact on our understanding of the universe.